New Reg ?

Guest gazza1591

Guest gazza1591

Hi All

Im looking at getting a zero soon and was looking to get a new registration for it.

as i cant find any sierras to strip and i would prefer to go new anyways i know it will cost more but i will then know i should

have plenty of miles with out any prob (famous last words).

so my question is does everything have to be new ? as i cant seem to find any diffs/gearbox's that are brand new ?

can anyone point me in the direction of some info on new age registrations ?

im looking to put a new zetec engine in.

thanks

Guest gixerboy600

Hi and welcome along.

I too have gone this route, really couldn't be arsed stripping a donor, so as follows:-

I bought the kit from GBS along with a donor pack which gave me hubs, gearbox, diff, driveshafts etc. I stripped this down and exchanged the driveshafts for recon units from my local motor factors (good as new). I took all four hubs to a local refinnishers and had them shot blasted, etch primed and painted, then fitted new bearings, I bought new calipers. I also bead blasted the gearbox and had this etch primed and painted (see pictures). The diff recieved the same treatment!!

For a new reg you are allowed one major component to be reconditioned, in my case this is the gearbox as I bought a new Zetec engine.

The examiner will issue a new reg also based on the build quality, if it looks good and the parts look new, you will get it on a new reg no.

HTH's

John

Guest gazza1591

thanks for the reply john

so you can still use a donar kit from GBS and have it all refurbished back to newish standard and this will be ok ?

i was thinking of using discs all round so this will all be new anyways.

so i think it will only be hubs,gearbox,diff and steering rack that will be second hand ?

thanks

The rules, as they were explained to me, is that you can have 1 re-conditioned part and in your case (and mine and Jon's) this is what they refer to as the drive train. This includes the gearbox, diff and drive shafts. This is how GBS build their cars, as their demonstrator has a new reg number. If in any doubt, give Richard at GBS a call or talk to him at Stoneleigh.

Guest gixerboy600

thanks for the reply john

so you can still use a donar kit from GBS and have it all refurbished back to newish standard and this will be ok ?

i was thinking of using discs all round so this will all be new anyways.

so i think it will only be hubs,gearbox,diff and steering rack that will be second hand ?

thanks

The rack in the kit is a quick rack and not used from the donor!!

Get one ordered, you know you want to!!!!

Guest gazza1591

ahh right cheers john

and cheers david i think i remember you telling me this before but could not remember im following your build blog

waiting on the next update :D

will have to arrange a time for me to pop over very soon

cheers

ahh right cheers john

and cheers david i think i remember you telling me this before but could not remember im following your build blog

waiting on the next update :D

will have to arrange a time for me to pop over very soon

cheers

You will be very welcome, just give me a shout.