Robin Hood V8

Guest DAVE1954

Guest DAVE1954

Hi enquiring for a mate, who's just bought a part built Robin Hood v8. Twin carbs, he's asked me what happens with emissions on Iva test , he's got no documents, I haven't a clue, any ideas. Rover v8. Cheers. Dave

Q plate or not doesn't come into it for IVA. At IVA its done on engine age, and you need to be able to prove the age of the engine. Emissions standards should be fairly easy to achieve for a rover v8 if you can prove its pre-95.

Guest lotusPaul

When checking the exhaust emissions, the engine must be at its normal idle speed and normal operating temperature. Engine speed and temperature can be assessed either subjectively or by reference to manufacturers or other reliable data. Vehicles fitted with spark ignition except: Vehicles with an effective date Pre 1975 a rotary engine vehicle having an effective date before 1 August 1987. a 2 stroke engine vehicle vehicles fuelled by CNG (Compressed Natural Gas) in respect of the requirement to check Hydrocarbons Conversions that are not based on M1 vehicles may comply with the applicable requirements of the original base vehicle. Documentary evidence of base or incomplete vehicle approvals will be deemed acceptable, Modification to the exhaust system length after the rear silencer will be permissible without further test In the case of a motor caravan, ambulance or hearse the requirements according to the category of the base or incomplete vehicle based on maximum mass may apply. An EC type-approval issued to the most representative base vehicle remains valid irrespective of change in the reference mass. 1. There must be access to the exhaust tailpipe(s) to allow the insertion of the analyser probe. 2. The exhaust gas must not contain carbon monoxide content exceeding the limit for a continuous period of 5 seconds 3. The exhaust gas must not contain hydrocarbon content exceeding the limit for a continuous period of 5 seconds.

Guest lotusPaul

Its a copy paste from the manual. Point is even using the 5 second rule id be doubtful if a Late model rover v8 (ecept bmw) would pass emmision tests.

It can be improved by a good exhaust system and a lean mix with a high power ignition system. But honestly, wouldnt hold my breath. Cooling would have to be spot on.

Just my opinion. Not saying impossible but not easiest engine to pass.

Guest Tim Norman

Mine passed on twin SU's. Once set up properly SU's oare easy to get through emissions. Noise however was a close run thing!

Cooling is easy with a good rad, big fan and a 74 degree Thermometer. Just make sure the bonnet has plenty of ventilation.

If it's running twin carbs it'll almost certainly be pre '95. I think cats became mandatory in '92 which was post carb engines. Get first 3 characters of the engine number, that'll tie the age down within a few years.

Guest lotusPaul

Ive been doing a bit of reading on this and theres lots of comments on various forums.

They all seem to agree that its best to speak to your local iva test station on all asspects of build of concern and take photos along way.

Some take a Q plate as only needing a visual check, some test a Q plate on engine age either way.

So its best to consult your mot/iva/sva center.

If you can prove your rovers age of engine, possibly different to car it came out off, then you may be into a winner. Look at engine number.

Q plate has nothing to do with IVA, only MOT.

Modern Q plates have emissions limits printed on the V5 for the MOT and they also come up on the MOT system.

IVA is always done engine age where known or on current standards where engine age cannot be proven.