What Ecu's Are Out There For Duratec V6

Guest david_l_perry

Guest david_l_perry

More homework for my new engine fit

Going to be fitting a Jag duratec v6 from an s type.

Today's question is what to do about the engine management system.

Preference would be just to use the one that comes with the car, but no idea how complicated that could turn out to be. I like wires, but at the moment know bugger all about the ecu arrangement.

Next option, and probably the simplest is to use something like the a Emerald ECU. But at £700+ it's a lot of money to spend on a unit that I get for free with the car...

What other ECU' are out there or any other suggestions.

I can't imagine using the existing is impossible, but may be issues with redundant systems causing it not to start....

You know the score....warning the door is open...engine won't start

Warning, your cigerate tray is full...engine won't start....etc etc....

But, rather spend money elsewhere if I can use the existing ecu from the jag donor

Dave

Guest mcramsay

I have gone down the route of using an oem ecu on my marlin build. The problems arise when trying to find and actually work out the wiring diagrams. I know bmw and jags are different makes but I am guessing the ecu side of things will be pretty similar. I have issues at the moment where the ecu is looking for speed inputs from the dash clocks, and abs inputs... All

Stuff I'm not using on the car, and then there is trying to fool the immobilizer into thinking it's still in the m3 it came from. Luckily the immobilise isn't tied into the door locks. I don't know how complicated the jag is, but there are many things that can get complicated! If I could I would have stuck the emerald ecu in to run the engine. 750 plus 120 for a really well made flying loom that comes with an easy to follow diagram, you can route the wiring where you want and make it look tidy. Plus a manual that goes in real depth so you can actually understand how the ecu works( makes fault finding 100 times easier) plus pretty much any engine mapper can work well with emerald, and it has loads of additional functions for future upgrades. The reason I couldn't use it is due to the m3 engines fancy twin vanos constant variable valve timing, there is no way the enerald could control that. If your enginr doesn't have anything like that then spend your money wisely and wack the emerald in!

Guest david_l_perry

I have issues at the moment where the ecu is looking for speed inputs from the dash clocks, and abs inputs...

Thanks for that...It pretty much sums up very good reasons to go the Emerald route and what I have been told by a few other people who did the same.....

I have had a very good response from Emerald today as it happens, breaking down all the potential components that I may need...just more money than I was hoping to spend...but then that's nothing new.... :)

Guest chrispine

I was going to go Megasquirt but was told some places won't touch it, especially if you built it yourself from a kit, research on the internet backed this up, I got it down to either Omex or Emerald, I spoke to my local engine tuner (many years of experience tuning and racing grasstrack etc), he recommended Emerald and he has a lot of experience with this system, did a discount so I had the K6 with flying loom and 3 position switch for £750, before I started I downloaded the manuals and read them thoroughly, found it straightforward and the Emerald will run any engine I'm ever likely to use, had to ring Emerald once and they couldn't of been more helpful, well recommended. Oh, on Ford wasted spark coils the polarity is marked UNDER the push on connector.

Chris

Guest mcramsay

Sadly the bmw valve control is not as simple as flicking on a solenoid at a certain rpm. There can timing is constantly adjusting through the whole rev range on both the inlet and exhaust. Something only the oem ecu can control. I don't think the jag engine uses anything that complex though.

DTA S60 does PWM cam control (You can download a base 3D map of load/revs/advance) as probably the best/cheapest currently commercially available ECU. DTA are mapped in many places and you can fiddle with mapping at home.

There is an advantage in using the software/ECU that is your local RR operators favourite or at least asking what software he is happy with.

There is also stand alone VVT software/hardware recently advertised here and on locost builders which claims to run happily in tandem with Emerald and Omex 600.

Nigel

Edited by Longboarder

• 3 months later...
Guest coolbawnviper

Hi, I am going down the same route and debating which ecu to use for my jag v6 engine to go in my haynes wide body. Have you made any more progress with the ecu and fitting the engine generally.

Jim