Bmw E46 N42 Timing

agent_zed

Hey,

so i've had a problem with my bmw 316ti for a while now which i believe is the timing chain has jumped a tooth. This seems to be a common problem and there are a few websites i've seen explaining the replacement. The problem is it seems to be a big job and requires sump removal and a few specific bmw tools.

In hoody style can i not just slacken the tensioner and force the chain back a tooth (on the exhaust side)?

At the end of the day the car is basically worthless so i'm looking for a quick fix. I half wondered if an entire engine swap would be easier.

any thoughts appreciated

swapping chains isn't that difficult with the right tools.

usually then can be made without too much difficulty . it will most likely be a flat plate that has cut outs to lock cams and a locking pin.

if its vanos that can be a pain.

but you should be able to remove top cover and check chain alignment. I wouldn't move it till you've checked its placement and fitted new tensioners.

otherwise theres nothing to stop it jumping again. If it has done that

My niece has just had her chain on her micra replaced as it had stretched and the tensioner couldn't cope so the cam and crank were outside parameters that the ecu could cope with

if it has jumped a tooth, there must be a reason why - ie slack in the system from a failed / worn tensioner or guide, or from a worn chain. I'd try and find the cause of the problem if you can.

Edited by Grim

yeah i'll have a look at the cam positions and see if it is obviously out. The plastic guide has broken that much i know as i saw it when i was trying to get the stupid cover to seal (it still leaks after 2 different gaskets and silicone as a last resort).

Apparently there is a new tensioner that is longer that stops the problem of it jumping. If i can just get it back in the correct position and fit the longer tensioner hopefully it'll plod along a bit longer.

Replacing the chains seems to be complicated and requires new bolts and locking pins and what not, and the sump needs to be removed which won't be fun i'm sure.

thanks

• 3 weeks later...

update... so it failed the mot on emissions. I hadn't adjusted anything at that point so i got it back home and had a look today. Cams appeared to be out of alignment looking at the rear of both. I turned to TDC and the exhaust cam had a flat bit inline with the cam and the inlet cam was tipped in slightly which seemed to tie up with the internet posts i've seen saying the inlet cam slips a tooth.

So i slackened off the tensioner put a spanner on the exhaust cam to stop that moving and after fiddling a bit turned the inlet cam and it moved a tooth so both flat bits were inline. Put it back together, checked the engine turned without mashing anything and then started it up.

all seems to be good so far although haven't driven it yet. got a few other problems to sort for mot but hopefully will live to fight another day..for a bit longer anyway