Chassis Swap

Guest Marc101

Guest Marc101

A quick question my mate just got a robin 2b only had it 2 days and HGV reversed over the frontend lucky for him it was parked up. He has found a chassis and is going to swap it all over what he can. Will he need to get it sva ? Thanks

I get what you are saying but surely a new chassis should have its own unique number, you can't just transfer it from the old to the new. Of course nobody would know unless it was examined for some reason but if the chassis plate was noted to look unoriginal it would point to a ringer wouldn't It?

I'm not sure what you are questioning Kevin? A new unregistered 2b chassis wouldn't have a chassis number and he would rebuild his car using it on the basis of a like for like replacement and the chassis number from his old car would move over to the new one.

If he bought a chassis that was registered and it came with the v5, then he could build up that chassis as that car using his car for the parts required. The new car would use the chassis number and registration of the replacement chassis.

Edited by theduck

Whilst it theory it would be a straight swap, the reality would probably be somewhat different and I'm sure it would be a massive undetaking. Assuming you get a decent payout from the insurance, wouldn't buying another car be much easier?

I'll bow to your greater knowledge as I haven't actually built one and you have but a new build on a new chassis with used or reconditioned parts will require a test and result in a q plate won't it. Bit of a joke really as many people rebuild cars from chassis up reusing the original chassis. To me the issue would be the quality of the rebuild. I bet dvla would have even less idea of what is needed if asked. There is very little difference to me to rechassis a car from a new build apart from having the correct paperwork already. Correct for the old build that is.

Thats my thinking. As Richy says get another car on the insurance, got to be easier

Simplify it down to a hypothetical scenario, lets pretend its a Registered Zero that the chassis has rusted away on. You can all GBS and get a brand new, like for like replacement chassis to swap as per the link Duck has posted:
"A rebuilt vehicle can keep its original registration number if you can prove you’ve used:

• a new chassis or monocoque bodyshell of the same specification as the original (car or light van)"

This would not need an IVA.

However, if you were to approach Westfield Sportscars for a new chassis, and rebuild it using that, then yes, it would need an IVA with the Zero as a single vehicle donor and hence an age related plate would be awarded after IVA.

Now back to your situation, can you prove the new 2b chassis is brand new and unused? Any receipts from Robin Hood etc? But then who would check them.....?
Equally for consideration as suggested, is just buying a new car with insurance money if that route has been used for the damage.

Personally I'd go with the 2b chassis.....

• Like 1