Shortening The Sump

Guest bloke

have read jims write up on the 'build tipz' and am goin to go for it

any one else done this an able to offer me any tips??

i have a quote for the weldin and pick up that seems 'ok' but i need to do the fabrication (bit steep for full job)

any advice greatly appreciated :ph34r:

Guest Mike Perry

Steve

Just go for it exactly as per Big Jim's write up.

I did the same as you. I did all the cutting and fabricating and got a professional to weld it up.

Now all fitted with no leaks. It's the biz!

Go for it, do the cutting out yourself to keep the cost down if you want but unless you can weld, don't!

I decided to be a hard arse with my build i.e. everything including the paintwork would be done by me.

I am no welder that's for sure and I would not attemp it again. I used 40 welding rods with a special low amperage attachment and it took me all weekend. It won't leak or drop off but it probably weights as much as the engine!! :p :p

Pete

I followed the tips on the old RHOCAR site (Jim's?) and it worked fine. Just one thing ... put a couple of holes from the top of the add-on box through the side of the original sump wall, or take the V cuts right up to the top. Otherwise the air in the add-on box can't get out when you fill it up with oil.

Ant

I cut the bottom off the sump with a mini-grinder held perfectly horizontal in a bench vice, raising the sump to the right height on a sheet of MDF. This left a perfect cut edge (the last 4" or so have to be cut manually). Then I gave the sump to a bloke I know who's an expert MIG welder, along with a printout of the extension box taken from the website. Charged me #85 but did a superb job, including leak testing and shortening/brazing the pick-up pipe.

Oh, talking of leaks ... don't put the drain hole toooo close to the bottom of the side of the expansion box. If you do then the weld between the side and the bottom sheets will be in the way for the seal on the filler plug! Mine leaks a drop or two because of this.

Doing it again I think I'd put the drain hole in the base panel rather than the side. Ok, this does mean the plug is the lowest point, but it can go far enough back so it won't catch anything. It's all a trade off between good drainage, a good seal, and a good ground clearance.

Ant

Guest Andy Rathbone

i followed big jim, partly, i cut the bowl off the cut of a bit more of the sump and got a grown up to weld the bowl back on, it retains the original sump plug and bowl shape, i did a bit of a cut and shut on the pick up and used silver solder to join it back together, not road tested but it runs up on the drive and goes ok no leeks.

if the 1.6 is same as your pickup i have a spare if you cock it up just the postage and its yours ;)

• 2 weeks later...

ta for the replys everyone, andy may well get back to you on that one!!! ant so thats why the emasurements seem high i was pondering that one.

have fabricated and cut as jims explan on the nw site and its 'ok' just waiting to be welded now

• 2 weeks later...

And I bet that you're right chuffed now! Good job! ;)

Don't use silicone on the sump gasket, a couple of blobs of grease will hold it in place whilst you bolt it all up. Once you've run the car for a month, just check the tightness of the sump bolts. :)

Guest Bob Rowell

Following this thread on to a similar query, the sump on my car had been shortened before I got it.

The job is good and oil tight, but there is no sign of the metal removed being added to the side to keep the capacity the same.

The main worry is how much oil to put in before making new marks on the dipstick. Always remembering that too much oil is actually worse for the engine than too little. Any advice?

Guest 2BBoulton

:o Don't add any new marks to your dip stick!!!

The level should be the same and go no higher than normal. Just keep a regular eye on the dip stick and don't let it get low.

Redards,

Bruce :)

Guest chris brown

Someone did work out how much less the sump held to the full mark with shortend sump without building box on the side and it was about 600cc and remember when Mr Ford designed the pinto he built in safety so there is about 30mm of space between the full mark and the crank webs. So if you are really worried 5mm over full will do no harm at all but filled to the full mark is is less than 1/2 way to the fill (low) mark on a full size sump.