Slow Filling Up

geordie40

Hi

My super spec is a real pain to full up, the pumps constantly click off. I have been told by builder to remove the bung he fitted in the breather pipe and this helps a bit. My question is should the breather pipe be higher than the tank or lower? Mine is underneath the spare wheel at the moment.

My breather goes up vertically out of the tank for quite some way then turns and goes vertically down to form a long U bend. I redesigned the fill point pipework so that I can get the hose filler nozzle well into it and don't seem to have slow fill problems

Thanks everyone, glad I'm not alone.

Wanderer I do take bung out and it helps a bit. The question was mainly because ive read somewhere that the breather pipe is better above the tank level hence most modern cars have a filler neck with the vent connecting back to the neck.

Ive never had do fill it from empty but it takes about 10 mins (or thats how long it seems) to get about £25 in it

Just a +1 here to re-enforce you're not the only one ;) tank uses a vented filler neck so quite generous, I think the only way I'd get it any better would be to fit a rather massive breather pipe to the opposite side of the tank!

Just a +1 here to re-enforce you're not the only one ;) tank uses a vented filler neck so quite generous, I think the only way I'd get it any better would be to fit a rather massive breather pipe to the opposite side of the tank!

Twin fuel caps? :rofl:

• Like 1

My builder actually welded a T-piece onto the filler neck about 1" from the top opening and put the breather pipe on that. I had assumed that was the standard fit, but apparently not. I also replaced the original flexible pipe (2 rubber suspension/steering boots) with a proper piece of fuel pipe. As a result I can now fill my tank at full power at the pump and it doesn't click off.

As the bung stays in during normal operation this isn't really a breather. As Kerry said it is there just for when you fill the car. The proper breather is a narrow bore pipe on the top of the tank. As such I don't think it matters where you put it, but if you have to remove the bung each time you fill up I would thought it would be sensible to put it somewhere accessible from on top so you don't have to go scrambling under the car each time you go to a garage :)

No, it was a bugger to change. The tank outlet is so close to the back of the car the clearance is minimal. Took me quite some time and I did get into the 'why on earth did I start to do this' mode :)

I just searched e-bay for 'Flexible Fuel Filler Hose' after measuring what diameter I needed.