Exmo Front Struts?

Guest Jordie

Guest Jordie

Hello all. Im new and will soon join as a member.

Ive recently bought an exmo kit which has been taken apart. I am trying to piece it back together.

The front struts...i appear to be missing a top mount? The shocker is clamped into the hub and appears to be a coilover type with threaded nut section.

Any idea where i can find replacement shocks and top mounts?

Cheers

Jordie

Do yourself a favour and buy a suitable bearing for the top mounts while you're at it, rather than the radial bearings that RHE supplied in the day (completely inappropriate type of bearing for the job in hand).

From memory I fitted some tapered roller bearings, maybe not as ideal as a thrust or spherical bearing but felt that the taper would at least stand up to the vertical forces a bit more. I think a spherical bearing would be the best but would pack the suspension up too high; ideally you'd want to figure and engineer some way of it mounting into the top of the buttress rather than having to sit underneath it. Quite a bit of design/engineering work there, hence why the taper roller bearing is a bit of a compromise but easier - certainly better than a simple radial bearing in terms of handling the axial thrust loads that are hitting it... when I removed mine after 1000 miles or so, the original bearing was battered and starting to deform, hence why I swapped it.

• 1 month later...

So from memory (bear with me, this was a long time ago for me!) RHE supplied a radial bearing in the kit to put on the top of the damper along with a large washer to take the spring. But the bearing would crush after a short amount of time since it wasn't designed to take loadings that way, and would effectively do bugger all anyway. Probably why the car is the way it is - to be fair, it's hardly any worse than what RHE envisaged at the time :)

A thrust bearing would be ideal but I was worried about it staying located/togeather, and dirt ingress, so I kind of went half-way-house and fitted tapered roller bearings, figuring they would at least be able to take a degree of side-loading without crumpling into bits. Have a browse around on somewhere like simplybearings.co.uk and find one that suits the size needed for your inserts. They do one, because that's where I bought mine, but I can't find any receipt for the ones I bought, sorry :(

Guest Jordie

Im currently modifying the front top mount area, to take a ford focus 1998-2004 (Not RS) top strut mount. This will also strengthen the area.

I am fitting ford focus mk1 coilovers, eventually may have to look at changing the spring lb and length, but for now im just wanting to get it all lined up, welded up and the car rolling.

4mm thick steel drilled to suit top strut mount.

37883978_10160966039180647_2646622533570