Wet Weather Gear

colinmoore

I am keen to use my newly built toy during the winter time, and have some wet weather gear to fit. My question is, should I use press studs around the screen or turn buttons, as I have been advised that press studs tend to pop undone at speed. Any advise please.

Guest 2b cruising

Hi, my roof and fittings are by no means new and have had plenty of use.

My roof fittings all round are press studs.

I have had no problems whatsoever, even driving at 70+ on the motorway.

However, if I was fitting out for the first time, I think for piece of mind I would use turn buckles on the screen frame if they would fit.

The pull on the studs at the top of the screen is sideways.

They are very unlikely to come undone.

Same goes for the back of the hood on the rear panel.

But at the side, the pull can be straight off if the wind gest underneath.

Mine popped off a few times, so I fitted just one turnbuckle as the final one

where your elbow rests.

(antiluce) fastener

Probably not. Commonest are Tenax, 'Lift the dot' or 'Turn button' type. All very effective and more secure than poppers. I have seen two small over centre lever fasteners, one on each end, used to add a little extra safety and tension to the hood to screen fixing.

Nigel

Edited by Longboarder

• 4 weeks later...
Guest 0ily joe

I am keen to use my newly built toy during the winter time, and have some wet weather gear to fit. My question is, should I use press studs around the screen or turn buttons, as I have been advised that press studs tend to pop undone at speed. Any advise please.

Hi i have just fitted mine using caravan awning rail glued with Silka flex when set fitted with short self tapers below the bends each end of wind screen and 4 screws along the top. fitting it this way you have to get the insert for awning rail seewn on to the front of the hood, fitting this way prevents water getting in under the front of hood.