Pinto Problem

jaimo

I wouldn't find that test all that convincing. (Particularly if the misfiring cylinder is showing the same characteristics as two that are performing OK. You need to find some point showing how the duff one is different from the others) My thinking is the seal is a dynamic one. It's not like an O ring where you would expect it to hold indefinitely. The rings have a small gap in the circumference and there's a gap above/below and behind, between the rings and lands. I would expect the diesel to drain slowly and unlikely to be equal on all cylinders. Surely the compression test (dynamic) is a better indicator.

Piston tops are cleaning up nicely!

Advice is still the same largely. Pull it to bits. Examine for wear or damage and measure clearances/gaps as needed. Feeler gauges, micrometer and a dial gauge are handy and cheap devices that will show what is worn beyond tolerance and what is OK. Find what is worn or damaged. Then you will know how to proceed. Then ask yourself if you have the skills to rebuild. If not then let someone do it who knows how.

Nigel

Edited by Longboarder

I can rebuild no worries

The compressions on all 4 cylinders before removing head was all the same about 120 off throttle

The pston were bored new pistons and ring hadnt done many miles before i got it off keith

So not sure what to do need to get to stoneleigh and wife nagging me to finish kitchen bathroom etc

Wife happy or sex ban lol

Guest mower man

ah you boys and your pintos nowt but probs

Yes but I didn't have to change engines every 14 days :rofl: , pintos are good reliable lumps with no fancy spark boxes if built Properly ,run on correct oils they will out last and out run a lot of moderns :crazy: mick

• membericon.pngRHOCaR 17
  • pips4.png
  • 4,039 posts
  • Car type:1992 Mazda mx 5 1600

Posted Today, 10:51 AM

tractor, on 31 Jan 2017 - 10:42 PM, said:snapback.png

ah you boys and your pintos nowt but probs

Yes but I didn't have to change engines every 14 days :rofl: , pintos are good reliable lumps with no fancy spark boxes if built Properly ,run on correct oils they will out last and out run a lot of moderns :crazy: mick

Edited by tractor

If it was my engine I would fit the correct valve oil seals, you know the old ones were no good, for the price of a head gasket and seals and a couple of hours work you would find if that was your problem. Or strip the engine to find it may or may not have a ring fault I know which I would try first.

Don't buy the cheap oil seals from ebay get some proper ones!

Edited by Alantoon

Guest mower man

More thoughts! ,level not dropping on no1 , so rings maybe ok on that one , the diesel may free off sticky rings on the others is long shot but may just save lot of work /expense :crazy: :80: mick

Guest mower man

not changing engines because of problems Mick changing engines cos i am a power hungry hoodie

oh and i enjoy the challenge

What are you getting out of you std 16 valvers 135 ish ok my 2.1 had a bit spent on it , head job ,cam and dedicated followers etc and springs but smooth reliable 125 / [ 145 at crank]on the deck and 30+ to the gallon :crazy: :drinks: mick