Noisy Tappet

Guest Tim Norman

Guest Tim Norman

The new heads have double springs and shortened bulleted valve guides and I know they are not binding. I also know I am not getting the best out of the heads with my current set up. I think the gearing to bring the cruising revs down is the first change.

You'll struggle with a Landrover R380 box because they don't easily convert to 2WD. LDV vans used a 2WD version of the R380 but first is so low it's pointless.

What box are you running currently (obviously LT77, but what suffix?) and what diff?

Vitesse LT77 has a slightly higher 5th gear (0.77 as opposed to 0.83) and in theory is should be possible to swap gear sets in to different boxes. The only slight problem might be the fact that the gears in earlier boxes had plain bearings (actually none at all) and the later boxes have needle roller bearings. Fortunately most of the parts are available new and aren't than expensive but you'd probably need to take a punt of £90 worth of gears and then see if they fit.

I was thinking of swapping to a taller 5th gear but I think it's easier and more beneficial to go for a taller diff. I'm currently running a 3.64 7.5" LSD so 3.36 is the tallest I can get. There's taller ratios available for the 7" diff but I don't want to go smaller so I'll most likely do the diff first and then look at swapping out 5th gear later if I think it's still required.

Guest Tim Norman

Diff is a 3.62 in a Cossie 7.5" rear end. The Gearbox is the commercial version of the LT77.

Reading around the subject the R380 with the 0.73 5th gear and they are available i 2WD guise. Its is just a case of finding a similar one to exchange!

Don't fancy swapping the diff out for a 3.36 LSD do to costs etc.

R380 gearset in to an LT77 might be possible. The biggest problem now seems to be finding boxes without paying silly money. I rebuilt mine and it was cheap and fairly straightforward. Given the issues these boxes have with oil pumps, I wouldn't put new gears in anything without giving it an overhaul at the same time.

Probably worth a punt on the R380 gearset then. everything for 5th gear is inside the rear casing so it's easy to get at, just need to remove the gearshift remote and the rear flange and the casing pulls straight off.

Still a winter job thought?

I wouldn't of thought so mate, I believe (??) they've got different synchro's and run different Dia shafts.

Have a look into the MT82 gearbox. They're coming readily available on the 2nd hand market now.

They're a nice strong box and 6 speed to boot.

Guest Tim Norman

Apparently the ratios are just closer and the 6th gear is not much better than 0.77.

I am looking for something nearer to 0.732 or 0.63 if I can find it!

And for the money I am seeing on my first search I could pick up a Tremec box. Theoretical top speed with that is 186mph!

Edited by Tim Norman

Guest Tim Norman

Having sorted preload I was still having "noise issues that sounded very tappety. It came on as the engine warmed up. Wondering if it was timing I selected fifth at 30mph, waited for a hill and pushed the loud pedal. Nope, just accelerated. Next thought was big ends, but no noise on start up. I ran all kinds of bad scenario's through my head. So this morning I have been out to the garage and just done a basic spanner check and found every single exhaust manifold bolt had at least another half a turn on it! I have run it up to temp in the garage and can't hear the noise any more, so I am going to make sure all the plugs are tight too then go and road test it. Fingers crossed I have found it. Who knew, leaky exhausts can sound tappety?