Noisy Tappet

Guest Tim Norman

Guest Tim Norman

Just had my remote oil filter kit arrive.......and it doesn't fit. Apparently it will fit a 4.0 cross bolted RV8, if it has a serpentine cover or a non cross bolted if it has a pre serpentine cover. But not if it is a cross bolted with a pre serpentine ARGGGGGGH. Anybody want to buy a brand new never fitted remote oil filter for a Rover V8? Starting to lose the will to live!

Guest Tim Norman

Well finally got it all back together and running, the tappety noise seems to have gone away, however, oil pressure won't get over 20 psi and now the alternator light won't go out. I know what the oil pressure problem is, the bore the pressure relief valve is heavily scored, how I don't know so I suspect the pressure is just leaking past it. As for the alternator, I believe that God just didn't want me to go to Stonleigh. May be next year, unless I sell it.

Guest Tim Norman

Well thats me done for the year. Gone to check it all again this evening and I have no oii pressure again, even the light wouldn't go out! So I am afraid it is an engine out, strip down and rebuild. Not happy as that is a £500 quid job by the time it is all in and back together.

Might see you all in 2019

Well thats me done for the year. Gone to check it all again this evening and I have no oii pressure again, even the light wouldn't go out! So I am afraid it is an engine out, strip down and rebuild. Not happy as that is a £500 quid job by the time it is all in and back together.

Might see you all in 2019

gutted for you, but keep persevering!!

Guest Tim Norman

Without being the voice of doom and gloom could the noise have been an early warning of damage due to low oil pressure?

I don't think so because whe n I ran it up on Wednesday the noise had gone. I am hoping it is something simple like the oil pick up pie is leaking air. If not.....................££££££££££££££

Guest Tim Norman

Whats the clearance from sump to oil pick up?

Sump coming off to check that and to see if the pick up pipe has worked loose.

Oil pump is on the nose of the crank? Pressure relief valve not stuck open?

Don't think so it falls out when I take the nut off. The oil pump is on the bottom of the timing cover driven by the distributer.

Do you think the pump is priming ok? Is it worth dropping the cover off it and packing it with grease the pull dizzy out and use a drill to try and get some oil circulating.

My pump is on the crank nose, engine is fully rebuilt and oil pressure is only 30psi hot

Guest Tim Norman

did that initially and had oil pressure. Checked next day and couldn't get any. When looked under car there was a lot of oil under the filter but when I took the filter off it was very full. starting to suspect I put the filter on with too much brute force as opposed to just hand tight and I have creased the seal. Anyway sump is off now and I am checking pick up clearances etc. No where near me stocks a filter so waiting for that and a few gaskets to arrive. If this doesn't solve it I am afraid I my have picked up a bearing along the way.