Zetec R1 Running Issues

What sensors do you have telling the megasquirt what the engine is doing. Megasquirt needs a temperature sender, a load sensor and a CPS to sense rpm and timing position as a minimum. These inputs must make sense to the ecu also. No good having a ford temp sensor which produces z ohms at 25C if the ecu is using a vauxhall table which tells it z ohms means 200C. Likewise the TPS must be calibrated so the ecu knows its closed and fully open positions and it can then work out part throttle setting itself.

After this is all setup it is good to go back to an old fashioned timing light, fix a pointer by the crank pulley and put a blob of tippex on both to correspond to 10 deg of advance. The you can see for real if you are getting timing that is doing anything like it should.

Nigel

Edited by Longboarder

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers Nigel, have all that working apart from the temp as couldn't get this to work but will have another go.

Just stripping the carbs down again and am I right in saying that it doesn't matter that the carbs and manifold don't sit flush, ie you can see some silicone tube as per the picture link below.

Also I need to blank off the servo plug, I assume the shortest bolt possible is best so it sticks out into the manifold less

Thanks

Simon

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3s6dazzvohebkr3/file%2025-03-2015%2020%2031%2048.jpeg?dl=0