Pinto Water Temp Sender Question....

Guest david_l_perry

Guest david_l_perry

I need to find a replacement sender for my Pinto 2.1 as the original electrical tag has broken off and clearly ain't working

The car has a set of Smiths Classic gauges

I can only see one sender in the europaspares catalogue for this - is it a standard thread fitting.....

Dave

• 3 years later...

Ok thanks. So I need a new one if this continues to weep? Looks like somebody in the past has used a sealer because I had to clear the threads out before I could screw it back in following rebuild. Do ford still sell these?

Cheers Andy

Guest chris brown

Andy if you are still using ford instruments then you need the correct sender for the instrument, colour of plastic body IIRC there are something like 5 different ones. Unfortunately when I wanted one (green) both ford and my local factors could only supply white

Guest 2b cruising

Remove it and check if it's a tapered thread.

If it's taper thread use ptfe tape to seal when you refit.

If it's parallel ptfe might seal it, if not an engineers thread sealer will seal it.

I removed it today I think it's a tapered thread. Engine runs nicely after rebuild . Just problems with clutch now! Fitted new clutch and 2wd long cable but can't get a clutch. Read all the posts will try and remove slack from outer cable. Rs2000 sump as well to standard type 9 bell housing so cable is not truly aligned. Also flex at pedal box so that will be reinforced tomoz. Clutch fork moves freely and release bearing slides nicely up to pressure plate so I'm hoping it's just too much slack in the system. Thanks again guys for your efforts.

Rgds Andy

Guest 2b cruising

By what you are saying, you are looking at the right things for the clutch fault.

Any plumbers type shop will sell ptfe tape so no worries there.

Keep it up and you will be on the road pretty soon.

Guest 2b cruising

Check if it's earthed befor fitting extra earth wire.

If ptfe not used to excess, tip of threads should still mate through the tape.

Don't be shy when tightening. The tape is to fill voids when tight.

If it goes to earth, no need for extra wire.

Thanks chaps. The only wire going to it is the feed with a small resistor. I'll try the tape then if the gauge doesn't work I can Earth the sensor . Can't wait to get it on the road ! New to this game and it looks fun:) I was on a role last night even managed to pay my membership online!!!!

Thanks again Andy