Winter Project - Better Weather Protection?

richyb66

Right, here’s a quick rundown on my current project.
For some time now I’ve had it in mind to sort out the issue of getting wet when I’m out for a run, caused by the combination of naff weather and no weather gear. I had made a basic Surrey top but to be honest, whilst it offers some protection while parked up, once you actually start moving it’s a waste of time. It’s also noisy as it flaps about so at some point in the future, I’ll make something similar, but better.
My plan has been to make a hardtop and a pair of doors as this will offer much better protection than the standard weather gear and at a later date, I’ll make a MkII Surrey top to match the same doors and keep that in the boot for when I don’t want the hard top.
Also, I like a challenge. So I’ll be making it from aluminium because I want it lightweight. The photos below are by no means exhaustive but they give a good idea what’s involved.
First job was to make a template for the doors so I know where the roof has got to go. A template would also give me the chance to assess the visibility through the doors as the standard weather gear doors look like they obscure vision to the sides so I wanted something that would offer better all round visibility. A template was made from 6mm MDF and checked for fit on the car. At this stage I’m only bothered about how it looks in side profile, not how well it fits the contour of the body.
]http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u289/richyb66/145.jpg~original

Once I was happy with the template, I started to make the roof frame around the top of the doors. I used 19mm square ally tube and this was bent to shape around a former that was made from 18mm chipboard using the MDF pattern as a template. To assist in bending the tube, some localised heat was applied with a blowlamp.

147.jpg

A dummy top half door was cut out from hardboard and fitted to the screen pillars using lift-off hinges. This allowed me to decide where to door would be when it was closed as the clear part of the door needs to be a flat surface and I could position the curved tubes around the top of the doors as shown below.

148.jpg

In this photo you can see the two curved tubes roughly in position. They are joined at the front by an ally channel that fits over the top of the windscreen frame and this channel has 19mm round tube welded to it that curves down at either end. Across the top of the roll bar is more square tube that will clamp down to the roll bar and also help space the roof up a little over my head. This square tube was joined to the door frames with round tube bent to shape and was connected to the front screen area with 2 long angles about 30x30 like this:

150.jpg
160.jpg
161.jpg

The two angles will help form a spine down the centre of the roof for strength and other features more of which later.
At the back of the roof, more square tube was used as 2 pieces were bent to shape to support the back of the roof and also for a frame for the rear window:

162.jpg

The frame was joined using a combination of rivetting and welding. I’ve used a normal home gas mig welder that’s been adapted to weld ally. This involves using Argon gas, swapping the metal torch liner for a PTFE one as ally snags in a steel liner, power setting on the lowest of the 4 available, wire speed on 9 (of 10), 1mm nozzle with 0.8mm wire (so the wire doesn’t snag if it expands) and finally and most importantly – keep the torch lead as straight as possible when welding. The thin ally wire bends easily and with the drive roller inside the welder, it’s pushing a meter of wire up to the torch. If the wire jams, by the time you’ve realised, you’ve got 2 feet of wire coiled up by the roller and this (and the meter in the torch lead) is scrap. I get a few of these happen but I’m used to it now
The other top tip with welding ally – IT NEEDS TO BE VERY CLEAN. So I use a emery to clean the oxide off it before I start welding.

Finally, 2 strips of 30x3 bar were formed to shape to fit around the lower corners of the body. Due to the complex shape, they were cut down partially to 15mm wide where the majority of the form change was, to make them easier to bend and I also used more heat – I like heat. The strips don’t touch the body, they’re about 3mm clear so I can put a foam seal behind them later on. Underneath the ally sheet on the roof, you can just see another strip of 30x3 that I’ve fitted above the centre of the door. This was bent to the profile I wanted on the roof and would help support the roof.

164.jpg

Here are the supports from underneath and see also the cross braces between the centre spine. I will box in the underneath of the spine and it will contain interior lights. I’m also worried about heat build up with the roof fitted so the outside of the roof will have a scoop on it to duct air into the box section. The bottom of the section will then have a pair of closeable vents fitted in it so I can direct some fresh air into the cabin.

165.jpg

At the back of the roof, a couple of horizontal boxes were added to form the top and bottom of the rear window frame.

166.jpg

Edited by richyb66
  • Like 4

Brilliant work Rich, & don't wish to P on your parade but are you supple enough to get in & out with your roof design in place? The surry on Florin is an upward curve between top of 'screen & rollbar so is a good few inches higher & us OAP's can just fold ourselves in without permanant injury.

Guest outtolunch

Brilliant work Rich, & don't wish to P on your parade but are you supple enough to get in & out with your roof design in place? The surry on Florin is an upward curve between top of 'screen & rollbar so is a good few inches higher & us OAP's can just fold ourselves in without permanant injury.

a quick release steering wheel makes getting in and out easier

I can get in and out but it's a bit tricky so I'll be getting another quick release wheel. I had one before but the quality wasn't brilliant and I was dubious regarding it's strength so I took it off - I'll have a look out for a better quality one later.

Great article - looks fab so far. As not all members go on the forum, have you thought of including this in the next mag - I know the publishers are always on the lookout for interesting articles to include in the mag, and for my mind, this fits the bill very well.

Si

Right, this should finally tidy things up a bit - the second half of my original post as it should have appeared:

At this stage the frame was self-supporting so I could remove it and start marking out the 1mm ally that I’m using to cover it. The main bends at the side of the roof were formed around a length of 4" bog waste pipe and the smaller bend at the front was formed over some 20mm round bar. The front corners have a complex shape so will be made as separate pieces, so for now, the corners have been cut away completely so the 3 main bends can be made.

167.jpg

Here’s one of the front corners. The shape was too tight to hand beat without putting a few cuts in so the piece was made as shown then welded and rivetted in place. The saw cuts will be tack welded and then skimmed with filler.

168.jpg

There’s a massive amount of trial and error involved here so the panels were self tapped in place to allow for re-fitting. With the main roof area covered it was time to attack the rear pillars. I started with 2mm cardboard templates - £2-10 an A1 sheet from Hobbycraft but it bends nicely and it cheaper that ally when you make a cock up. Once again the sheet was former around the 4" bog pipe and I was looking for a shape that was nice and even with no nasty kinks. At the bottom of the pillars, the sheet was initially held with self tappers but in this picture you can just see that I have turned 2 areas back underneath on themselves so that they grip the 3x30 strip around the rear panel corner:

169.jpg

With the main panels in place, a strip with a bend across it was added at the rear of the roof above the window. This gave me the final boundary so I could form the infills in the main roof corners. The shape is complex and I knew I wouldn’t be able to form it in a single piece so I started with the flattest part first:

171.jpg

Basically just lots of clamping, marking and trimming and in it went. The remaining hole was filled in 2 pieces which were made from a rough card template which was transferred to ally sheet and cut 25mm oversize all round. These pieces were then had formed using a bossing mallet (Google it if you haven’t seen one) and a sand filled leather bag, together with steel panel beating hammers and blocks. I’m not an expert, it isn’t easy but if you’re determined (and I am). You end up with this:

173.jpg

…and a few scrap ones as well. (Practice makes perfect).

I’ve actually progressed quite a bit from this stage but need better photos so I’ll post more pictures later in the week.

The hardtop will be removeable - the weight isn't an issue but it is a bit unwieldy to lift on my own but just about manageable.

• Like 1