Photo
- - - - -

Rh Suspension Upgrades? Ditching Sierra Rear Arms?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#16 richyb66

richyb66

Club Secretary

• Committee
  • 2,333 posts
  • Car type:2B wishbone 4.6 V8

Posted 30 September 2018 - 06:14 PM

Front look like Spax, yellow with small slotted adjuster screw.
<p>Warks, Worcs, W Mids area meet. Last Wednesday of the month 7PM onwards, January to November. Malt Shovel Toby Carvery, Coventry Road, Nr Stonebridge, Coventry, CV7 7HL <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='https://www.google.c...E'>here</a></p>
<p>
Entrance to pub car park is off the A452 Chester Road heading North 50 yards from the island.

#17 Bamo

Bamo

Builder

• Community user
  • 21 posts
  • Car type:Robin Hood

Posted 30 September 2018 - 07:17 PM

Guessing not to great then 🙈🙈

#18 richyb66

richyb66

Club Secretary

• Committee
  • 2,333 posts
  • Car type:2B wishbone 4.6 V8

Posted 30 September 2018 - 07:31 PM

Nothing wrong with Spax. Might be worth spraying the adjuster with some penetrating oil before you start fiddling with them.
<p>Warks, Worcs, W Mids area meet. Last Wednesday of the month 7PM onwards, January to November. Malt Shovel Toby Carvery, Coventry Road, Nr Stonebridge, Coventry, CV7 7HL <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='https://www.google.c...E'>here</a></p>
<p>
Entrance to pub car park is off the A452 Chester Road heading North 50 yards from the island.

#19 Bamo

Bamo

Builder

• Community user
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 07:46 PM

Defo 👍🏻. Thank you

#20 agent_zed

agent_zed

Wheely good builder!

• Community user
  • 2,939 posts
  • Car type:2B with double wishbones

Posted 30 September 2018 - 07:49 PM

2 things to check on the rear. Tyre pressure (which you already mentioned) should be 20psi or there abouts. I put 30psi in once and it was really bouncy and rather dangerous.

The other thing is how low the builder set the suspension. The sierra setup gets more toe-in and more negative camber as it gets lower. If you set it too low you have too much toe-in and it skips all over the place.

Building a double wishbone rear end is on my list of things to do but still haven't got around to it yet. There is a thread on here where we discussed ideas, I'll see if i can find it.

#21 Bamo

Bamo

Builder

• Community user
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 08:35 PM

That would be really good if you can. Im wanting to see the Robin Hood rear end stripped down so I can get a clearer idea of the chassis/fab work involved to ale this work.
Thank you 👍🏻

#22 agent_zed

agent_zed

Wheely good builder!

• Community user
  • 2,939 posts
  • Car type:2B with double wishbones

Posted 30 September 2018 - 08:56 PM

found it http://www.rhocar.or...ion#entry358486we didn't go into too much detail.

my thinking was to use the 'build your own sportscar' plans to build a subframe that would replace the ford sierra subframe, but with a few more pickup points.

On the 2b the sierra subframe mounts using the original subframe outer arm mounts, outer wishbone bolts and the diff rear mounting bolt. I plan (one day) to build the diff cage and wishbones as per the book plans and then custom fabricate 2 lower arms to mount where the current subframe rubber mount goes, 2 arms backwards picking up more of the chassis tubes, and 2 arms upwards into the rollbar tube to also take the upper shock mounts.

The main problem is the rollbar is not inline with the hub so i have yet to work out how to secure the upper suspension mount, unless i build a frame across but i don't want to take up too much space in the boot.

is it worth it? don't know but it's more about the experience for me. :)

#23 Bamo

Bamo

Builder

• Community user
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 09:22 PM

In my head I know I should sell and put the money into a better chassis but Im here now and with the right work in the right place this can be good no doubt 😁

#24 Snapperpaul

Snapperpaul

Wheely psychotic builder

• Community user
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,674 posts
  • Car type:Series 3a now with added 2.1 Pinto on MegaJolt and Bike carbs

Posted 04 October 2018 - 06:29 AM

Inboard shocks on a square frame chassis doesnt look like any Robin Hood I know
What car is it?

Essex Kit Car Club is near you, get in touch on Facebook
665-neigbour of the Beast.

SVA passed first time 17th July 2008

#25 Peter Bell

Peter Bell

Bus Pass Boyz

• RHOCaR 18
  • 2,692 posts
  • Car type:Mk1 Sierra 7

Posted 04 October 2018 - 08:57 AM

Look at this link to identify your car model http://nw.rhocar.org...tification.htm.

It certainly looks a bit unusual, I know one Tiger cars model use the Sierra rear beam but they don't use inboard shocks.

You don't stop playing because you get older, you get older because you stop playing!

#26 theduck

theduck

Chairman

• Admin
  • 3,638 posts
  • Car type:Sierra S7

Posted 04 October 2018 - 05:54 PM

Front spax look same as mine. They had 180lb springs and changed to 120lb. Only had a short drive but it made a massive immediately noticeable improvement.

As snapperpaul says though, from what we can see it doesnt look stock, though I am thinking its a modified setup that replicates the original.

#27 JimmyRH

JimmyRH

Builder

• Community user
  • 42 posts
  • Car type:Serie 3

Posted 10 October 2018 - 10:02 AM

Not want to steal you topic, and if I need to make my own, no problem.
I also want to upgrade my suspension front and rear. I think it's original now, all adjustable (at one time) but all rusted up and drives hard. I would like a bit more relaxing ride, and I would like the car a bit lower..
Any info on what set I need to buy, what load springs etc?? Robin Hood S3a with inboard coil overs, rear are also coilovers. 

#28 Snapperpaul

Snapperpaul

Wheely psychotic builder

• Community user
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,674 posts
  • Car type:Series 3a now with added 2.1 Pinto on MegaJolt and Bike carbs

Posted 15 October 2018 - 10:40 AM

Front is stiff due to antiroll bar, change to tie bars and reduce springs to 130lb
Rears can stay at 180lb
Original shocks were motor bike shocks with coil over collars put on them, changing to adjustable coil overs such as Gaz improved mine no end
665-neigbour of the Beast.

SVA passed first time 17th July 2008

#29 JimmyRH

JimmyRH

Builder

• Community user
  • 42 posts
  • Car type:Serie 3

Posted 16 October 2018 - 11:40 AM

Thanks.. Where can I find sizes and measures for the Tie bar conversion? I would like to do this.

#30 theduck

theduck

Chairman

• Admin
  • 3,638 posts
  • Car type:Sierra S7

Posted 16 October 2018 - 11:53 AM

http://www.s26261265...rews/tiebar.htm