Child Seat

Guest Alimcc

Guest Alimcc

Hi guys, got a legal question for you all.

My son is 7 1/2 years old and therefore requires a booster seat when travelling in a car. My 2b however has racing bucket seats and his booster won't fit. Also it has 3 point harness seatbelts but they won't quite adjust small enough to fit him snuggly. Can he legally travel as a passenger in my car if i provide a back cushion so his harness fits better?

Kind regards,

Ali

My 6 year old goes in my car and either sits on cushion or not at all and then just tighten harness as much as it goes and man across road from my mum is traffic cop he bin over looking at car and even had a go and seen my boy in car and never said anything so that will do for me only go steady with him in it though

I've got cobra roadster seats in my Exmo. A halfords slimline seat (£10) just fits but I use a jumper to boost the height and back for my 5 year old to make it fit better. The straps are a better fit that way.

Last year it was legal, this year it's not. Children now have to have a child seat with full back not a booster seat up to certain weight and height criteria. My 8 year old is now not allowed in my car as his seat won't fit in. He was using just a booster but now he will have to wait until he's bigger. My wife says the details can be found on direct.gov website if you want to check out exactly what they are. Boosters are not brilliant anyway, the same with other padding used to raise children as they can slide out and allow what is known as submarining where the person slides out under the belt with disastrous consequences. A full harness belt is far better than an ordinary 3 point one though.

https://www.gov.uk/child-car-seats-the-rules/using-a-child-car-seat-or-booster-seat

Just measured my 9 year old grandson who loves going out in the Hood....

Luckily he doesn't take after his short a** grandad....

He's 138 cm tall, so he's exempt as far as I can see.

Child’s weight Car seat

0kg to 9kg Lie-flat or ‘lateral’ baby carrier, rear-facing baby carrier, or rear-facing baby seat using a harness

0kg to 13kg Rear-facing baby carrier or rear-facing baby seat using a harness

9kg to 18kg Rear- or forward-facing baby seat using a harness or safety shield

15kg to 36kg Rear- or forward-facing child seat (high-backed booster seat or booster cushion) using a seat belt, harness or safety

Doesn't have to have a back if in final weight category booster cushion fine

Guest Jay Paul

quite interesting topic

my main job is a foster carer for children with disabilities anyway due to laws coming in we are not aloud to use booster seats anymore it has to be a full car seat which is mad as they still sell boosters

• 3 weeks later...