Can I Change The Sump With The Engine In?

Guest Bell Boy

Guest Bell Boy

Hi chaps,

Can I change the Zetec sump to a Raceline with the engine in the chassis? Hopefully this will be a simple question to answer.

I need to know if I should order the raceline sump at this point in the build if I don't have to. The reason being is that my paycheck won't stretch that far for my Easter break when I'm taking a week off work...and want lots to do. Has anyone gone down this path? Every build I've seen seems to do it off the car.

Cheers

Chris

you should be able to take the old sump and wind age tray off ok

2 points to consider

1. how old is your zetec? if it's an old one raceline require the crank bolts shortening , newer zetecs are ok

2. to refit the raceline sump you'll need a longggggg Allen key (6 inches) to fit one of the rear bolts that's completely enclosed between the sump and the bell housing

ian

Guest Bell Boy

you should be able to take the old sump and wind age tray off ok

2 points to consider

1. how old is your zetec? if it's an old one raceline require the crank bolts shortening , newer zetecs are ok

2. to refit the raceline sump you'll need a longggggg Allen key (6 inches) to fit one of the rear bolts that's completely enclosed between the sump and the bell housing

ian

1. It's a crate engine that I got from GBS over the winter so I believe it's not an old one.

2. Noted...but I won't worry about it too much at the moment.

Cheers for the advice lads!

Old one refers to phase 1 or 11 silvertop. Blacktops are fine. The raceline sump has no windage plate but they do a kit for lots of dosh. You might even consider getting hold of a silvertop windage plate and the four main bearing bolts from 2 and 4 main bearing caps to use to mount it. Need to make up some spacers. I have in the past mounted it off the sump baffle plate but currently run without one.

Nigel

If its a Blacktop you got recently from GBS then it should be the same age as mine.

I've just fitted the Raceline sump to my engine.

There was nothing to dress.

The sump I got about a month or so ago now comes with the windage tray as part of the kit. The instructions still say you need an extra few parts but they are now included.

Also worth noting is that the windage tray comes assembled. Its worth taking it apart to give it a good cleanup. A couple of small shards of metal fell out of mine when I took it apart, that I would not have seen had I not done so .

Ian

Guest dctough

Hey Chris,

Where abouts in Kingston are you? I'm in Staines nearing the end of my build so if you need any help or pointers feel free to give me a shout. Pictures on my photobucket account may be useful (link below).

Dave