Faded/stained Gelcoat - How To Refinish?

Guest Boost

Hello,

Not been on here for a while, Managed to sneak another kit into the garage a few weeks ago, Its yellow and the gelcoat has more stained than faded, looks like its been leaked on and the water has sat there under a cover. not bad from a distance but up close its annoying!

I though the marks would wash off but no! I'm thinking of trying to machine polishing them out using farecla G3? any one tried this before on gelcoat finish?

Regards............Boost.

Its worth giving G3 ago either by hand or with a mop and see if the gel coat will come back up.

To me (without seeing it) it sounds like the gel coat is not the problem but it is the lay up of the GRP

that is starting to show through the gel coat itself.

Edited by chris n

my nosecone faded badly, and i gave it a quick run over with a polishing mop which vastly improved it. The fade pattern followed the lay up of the grp, but there was no issue polishing it away

Guest mower man

I had sim prob years ago after storing the bonnet for my Marcos under polythene which collected water in puddles the effect was a like a photo negative it did polish out after repeated attempts but very hard work ! :crazy: mick

Edited by mower man

I had sim prob years ago after storing the bonnet for my Marcos under polythene which collected water in puddles the effect was a like a photo negative it did polish out after repeated attempts but very hard work ! :crazy: mick

this is what happens to my cellulose paint when i use a plastic tarp. If it gets water + heat(sunlight) it does weird blooms and the paint can take on the imprint of the plastic. Very annoying and i have to either cut back or re-spray.

I've used carplan rubbing compound to pretty good effect and it's really cheap. I picked up a tube for about £2. This is on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/152162900117?lpid=122&chn=ps&adgroupid=33170564523&rlsatarget=pla-257284467520&adtype=pla&poi=&googleloc=9045572&device=c&campaignid=661219804&crdt=0which is the same but i bought mine from local MF but i've seen it in a local DIY shop too.

Once i've used that i then use T-cut or similar to go finer and then wax. Got a mirror finish on the guitar i built using that.

hth

Thanks for the replies, Its definitely water type marks and not the lay of the GRP. I'll get a pic later, and one after too (If it turns out OK!)

Edited by Boost