Registration Options

Knock-on

Just trying to refresh my memory and see if anything has changed recently.

What must come from the Donor to get an age related plate? Steering, Engine, Transmission, Diff etc? What about if you have a FWD car and fit a different Transmission and Diff?

I'm thinking of doing something interesting and want to avoid a Q.

You need 2 original major components so it you don;t use the original FWD transmission then you need 2 from engine, front suspension, rear suspension and steering.

Safest bet would be to use at least 3 from the donor vehicle, more bits carried over = less chance of a Q plate, plus obviously the kit itself - which needs to be NEW with evidence to support this (reciepts and looking new would also help).

It's an utter minefield but more info is on the DVLA website:

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/kitconverted-vehicles

For DVLA purposes, a kit vehicle is one where ALL components are new - donor based kits like most of ours are kit converted vehicles as in the link above.

Cheers mate. So, the steering and engine is fine but take lots of pics to prove they came from the Donor. :)

I'm going to use new double wishbone suspension with Gaz dampers all round so they will be new, the engine, tranny and diff will all be recon so hopefully that will be enough for an age related plate.

Front and rear hubs can be considered suspension thus you get the points

Diff is part of rear suspension or may be considered part of the drivetrain

Engine is a major componant steering is mainly the rack and/or column

Any componant without an individual identification number such as an engine number is difficult to place from the donor so you can build a case for non Q if you don't take the pi55

OK, I'll have to have a look to see what I can use. I'm going to look at a Focus ST170 and am hoping to use the Engine, Steering and hubs front and back on a one off RHE chassis. As the chassis has never officially been sold, I will be able to sort out a receipt no problem :)

I have a MT75 knocking about but need to think about the Diff. Have most of the remaining parts knocking about and will make up a wiring loom. Panals will be SS (or polished Ali) and Carbon.

Edited by Knock-on

Guest Joe_burtenshaw

Sorry to jump In on the conversation, but I have a Robin Hood 2b brought second hand with no paper work. I have a doner vehicle with v5 and will be using the engine diff and suspension, is this enough for an age related plate? Many thanks joe