Differential Ratio

Guest salty_monk

Guest salty_monk

Just finished fitting the 3.92 diff given to me by Chris Brown, complete with new seals. What a transformation!! I have my car back! :D

Chris - thanks once again! :wub:

I can't tell you how much difference this diff ratio makes to the "driverbility" of the car, much less "bog down" in second & flys up to 100mph pulling strongly in 5th.

Also thanks to Longboarder - have just finished fitting a different exhaust mount to your sketch (one mount on the side panel one underneath using a mini bobbin), if anyone wants pictures then let me know...

New indicators went on yesterday too so just a clutch quadrant (from 50 - 55mm, if anyone wants the original 45 or the 50mm then let me know) some heat resistant tube round the cable (neater than the existing exhaust wrap - thanks Pete!), a smaller washer bottle (or bag actually) that actually works & a heater to go!! (Got to drive it Cardiff, 180 miles each way with no heater doesn't sound like fun!)

Also fitted some turnbuttons to my hood the other day - much better than poppers - thanks whoever they come from & thanks also to *I think* Ant2b for the poppers fitted to the back of the hood to replace those I wrecked!

Guest chris brown

Glad to be of assistance young man :p ;)

Are you sure you bought that car and didn’t scrounge it as you seem to have everything else since :D :D :D :D

As for your idea of getting those hard tops made in China I bet they could knock them for less than we could get the raw materials :wacko: It's a thought

Guest alan rowe

Salty - where did you get the heat resistant tube for the clutch cable - that could just solve my reverse gear problem when all gets seriously hot - I've got some wrap but what you are refering to could be brilliant

Or to use a Saltyisum -- you got any spare????

Alan

Guest salty_monk

Alan, I got it from Petemate who scrounged it for me off one of his mates...!! Drew's scrounged the spare bit I had!!

BUT... if you want to buy some try:

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=261_264

The 1/2" bore should do you, pretty cheap too & pretty silver so will look better than mine... :D

Ant - pics of exhaust bracket to follow later....

Guest salty_monk

Alan - Bob Tucker is their best salesman!! :lol:

No seriously he's used them for a few bits & they're meant to be pretty good.

The Pipe I have from Pete has about 10mm internal bore & Pete says it's a squeeze but not too bad. Presume you're using a Type 9 & standard cable hence the suggestion but perhaps not...

Guest salty_monk

Rally design stuff - I don't know but the stuff Pete got me not a chance.

It frays really badly if you try to cut it apparently.

I'm intending to pop my cable off & slide it over off the car then re-fit.

Salty,

I can't tell you how much difference this diff ratio makes to the "driverbility" of the car, much less "bog down" in second & flys up to 100mph pulling strongly in 5th.

What ratio diff are you comparing the 3.92 to?

I have a 3.38 diff fitted which came off the original donor, a 2.0l Ghia which was a German import. I have been considering replaceing this as it whines quite loudly. The problem is what ratio to fit? I would like to improve acceleration but I use the car for work during the summer which is a round trip of 96 miles, so economy is also important. At present I get 35 to the gallon, by fitting a 3.62 or 3.92 what will that do to the economy?

Any thoughts chaps?

Guest salty_monk

I'm comparing it to a 3.62. I had a 3.92 originally, due to a no oil episode it got too loud to live with so I swapped it for a 3.62. Didn't like it. Killed all the revs, put a 3.92 back now :D (ish, us hoodies are always upgrading!!)

Can't imagine what it's like with a 3.38, that was the "eco" diff in the UK. In my imagination it must be terrible, a massive gap between 1st & 2nd and no drive in 4th or 5th... good for you 96 mile trip though as a lot quieter and cheaper.

Mines a 2l with 38 DGAS, modified vaccuumless dizzy (makes it less effiecient at idle) 285 piper cam. I get around 25mpg on a run at 80 - 85. Mostly it's around 20, dropped to 15 on the track..... :( :lol:

Thank's for the info.

Yes, the acceleration is somewhat lacking but as that is the only diff I have ever had fitted I have nothing to compare it to.

Guess it is time to try a 3.92, anybody out there got one laying around that needs a new home?

Guest salty_monk

I have a noisy 3.92 (on power, although it doesn't affect performance) & a good 3.62, both with new drive shaft seals fitted.

You're more than welcome to either one... I'm in New Eltham SE9. :)