F1 Coverage On Sky 2012

Tazzzzman1

Heard on the news today that as from next year F1 coverage will be spilt 50% to BBC and 50% on SKY Sports..... :cray: :cray:

I guess some of us die hard fans will fork out the extra bucks each month (begrudgingly) but think F1 will loose a lot of fans in the process, look what happened to boxing when it went PPV...!!

Robbing b@#stards!!!! :aggressive:

Rant over....sorry :blush: :blush:

It saddens me greatly,

The one motor sport available on tv that I watch without fail, we even have a telly in the barn so we can work on the kits and still see F1.

I won't pay for Sky for one Saturday ever 2 weeks

Tis the only sport we make a point of watching, so no Sky for us, won't bother with BBC if showing only half season, net result- 2 less viewers. Still it's another few millions for the weasel; I 'pose he needs it.

Guest big kev

Was about to start a thread bout this subject.

I was slowly being converted to BTCC more exiting racing and no silly rulings

But I still love f1 and it seems the beeb have just ditched it for the olyimpics

I've seen on twitter that the beeb will only be showing a highlights show not full races ever

What a joke

We finally get F1 back on the BBC with no ruddy adverts every 5 minutes, now this!!!!!!!!!!

There is no way that I will line the pockets of Ecclestone & Murdoch even if it means I will miss half the season's GPs. I just wish something could be done about the situation, but there isn't so F1 fans will have to put up with it. Are we seeing the start of the demise of F1 due to greed? I fear so.

Just like GP2 they'll alternate which channels they run the F1 on so you have to subscribe to the whole package.

And then there's the adverts ....

Breaking news ... Rupert Murdoch states he is 'touched' at the messages of condolence left on Amy Winehouse's voicemail ...

With all the rule & regs; enforced tyre changes,when the driver can & cannot use power & aerodynamics it's only entertainment now. Just need driver swapping;one to be a "celebrity" & the whole circus will be complete. Since completing the build of our car we much prefer to be driving rather than watching;same goes for all other sports that are controlled by big money.

Guest mower man

A fan for45 years I will not be be buying sky or what ever let them have the lymlics and leave F1 where it should be in the country of its birth :spiteful: :aggressive: mower man :shok: :bad: =@

Guest marsbar

I cannot work out that the deal ran out in 2013, but the BBC have negotiated an earlier deal to do half! Where is the logic in this?

It was also a condition of the Concord Agreement,that was in to suit the car manufactures , that F1 had to be on free to air broadcasters, so I suspect the Poison Dwarf's hand in this Bernie Eclestone!

There must have been some back room deals in the share of the money, to get the teams to agree to this, we will most likely never find out the sordid details.

I will be protesting by not purchasing any Ferrari's Mclaren's or Lotus's ,!!!

Steve

Guest big kev

I cannot work out that the deal ran out in 2013, but the BBC have negotiated an earlier deal to do half! Where is the logic in this?

It was also a condition of the Concord Agreement,that was in to suit the car manufactures , that F1 had to be on free to air broadcasters, so I suspect the Poison Dwarf's hand in this Bernie Eclestone!

The logic is that they haven't got enough channel

Time to show the olymipics and the f1 so the f1 gets the boot it mad

There must have been some back room deals in the share of the money, to get the teams to agree to this, we will most likely never find out the sordid details.

I will be protesting by not purchasing any Ferrari's Mclaren's or Lotus's ,!!!

Steve

Guest marsbar

This Excuse is on the BBC website F1 section.

New F1 deal explained

Post categories: Motorsport

Ben Gallop Ben Gallop | 12:54 UK time, Friday, 29 July 2011

We announced today that from next season the BBC will be sharing coverage of Formula 1 with Sky Sports.

There has been considerable reaction to the news so I feel it's important to explain some of the background behind what has happened.

The headline is that under a seven-year deal starting next season, we will be showing 10 of the races in the F1 calendar, plus the corresponding qualifying and practice sessions, live on BBC TV.

We will broadcast extended highlights for the rest of the grands prix just a few hours after the chequered flag has been waved. Sky will have live action from all races, qualifying and practice sessions.

There has been a great deal of unsettling speculation recently about F1 rights. Amid all the rumour and counter-rumour, our production and on-air team have shown huge professionalism, dedication and expertise to keep delivering the high quality output that has become the trademark of our coverage.

The speculation is now over. This new arrangement extends the BBC's commitment to F1 by a further five years - our existing contract, which gave us exclusive rights in the UK, was due to expire in 2013. But of course it does mean our coverage will not be as comprehensive as it has been in recent years.

So why are we sharing the coverage with Sky when up to now it had just been us?

Ultimately, of course, decisions about which media organisations get the chance to broadcast F1 are taken by Bernie Ecclestone's Formula 1 Management (FOM). But from the BBC's perspective the new set-up provided us with an opportunity to continue our association with this gripping sport, which has captured the imagination of our audiences since it returned to BBC screens in 2009, with viewing figures at a 10-year high this season.

And while our coverage from 2012 may not be as extensive as it has been up to now, the bare facts are that the BBC needs to save money. Given the financial circumstances in which we find ourselves, we believe this new deal offers the best outcome for licence-fee payers.

In a sense this partnership with Sky is another example of how the landscape of sports broadcasting has been transformed in recent years. There was a time when the BBC and other public service broadcasters could expect to televise all the big sports themselves. Now though we have a 'mixed economy', with some events on satellite while others are on terrestrial.

And although this may be the first time the BBC has shared Formula 1 with another broadcaster, there is a long-standing pattern of partnerships between free-to-air and pay TV to cover major sports. So the Champions League can be watched on both Sky and ITV; US Masters golf is now shared between ourselves and Sky (with audiences for that event up this year); and then of course there is the Premier League - with live games on Sky and ESPN, while our ever-popular highlights programme Match of the Day keeps football fans entertained on a Saturday night.

This new F1 arrangement will allow us to tell the story of the whole F1 season for BBC viewers, while providing extended access to the biggest moments in the calendar: including the glamour of Monaco, the excitement of the last race of the season, plus the British grand prix at Silverstone, which remains one of the highlights of the UK's sporting summer.

In addition to our award-winning TV output, we will continue with our exclusive radio coverage on 5 Live and 5 Live Sports Extra as well as our comprehensive F1 website and mobile services and the regular broadcasts on BBC News outlets. We know F1 fans appreciate the extensive multi-platform coverage we offer and, as well as capturing those big moments on TV, we pledge to keep audiences up to date with all the news and action throughout the season, wherever they are.

You will appreciate these are early days, with much still to decide, including some of the detail around our own production. We will let you know as soon as there is more to say on that front - but in the meantime there is the small matter of the 2011 season to focus on.

Ben Gallop is the BBC's Head of F1

This is just the thin edge of the wedge. I don't have and do not want to have Sky and certainly not just so I can watch F1. I love F1 and have been an avid viewer since the Hunt and Mansel years but not being able to watch the whole season live and only getting highlights shows is not on. The BBC should have simply kept the deal as it was until 2013 and jacked it in then. I get very little from the BBC of programs I actually want to watch and now it has reduced by abot 50%!!!