Carb Rebuild

jaimo

Right carb rebuilt and cleaned put back on kit fired up and checked carb working yet to set up mixture etc and roadtest but looking good so far record for me complete strip and rebuild in just over an hour

• Like 1

Definatly runs out of steam at 70 and getting there not that quick either anyone had this or similar before

Would mechancical fuel pump cause this or is it basicaly works or doesnt wot about vac advance

Edited by jaimo

I'll try and help, other than it being an 1800 pinto what's the spec on the engine? have you had the carb setup for the car? If not what was running in previously?

What distributor setup are you running? What is timing at idle and how much mechanical advance does the distributor have? What rpm is the dizzy fully advanced? Have you got vac advance attached?

Standard 1800 carb was off a 2.0 litre and jetted as so

Running sierra dizzy electronic with module eddis thing vac connected dont know timmings at mo but timmed up correctly i believe and dn u check rpm when dizzy advanced and wot do u mean mechancical advance

Ok, even though jetted for 2.0 that should be ok, maybe very slightly rich but that's fine.

If Standard dizzy I would set timing with vac disconnected at idle to around 12 degrees. That should work pretty well. If it still feels slow there is either another problem, or the 1800 just isn't man enough for you.

It just hits a wall not excatly a drag strip car but gets to about 60 and then struggles mite get to 80 if road was long say 10 mile but theres def something whats best way to check if advance working and dizzy working mite try changing ht leads cud that cause it what about air stranglation to carb

Guest lotusPaul

If your hitting 60 and running out of puff then I think you have an issue. Even an 1800cc should give better in a box tintop.

First FREE things. Take out your spark plugs and let's see the condition, post a pic of all 4.

While they're out clean and re gap them.

Next take of your air filter assy and check for blockages.

Also you can run the car a short distance with the filters off and see if you experience the same flatness. That may help prove/disprove air starvation to carbs.

A very simple thing to do too, check you have full throttle opening when you operate that go peddle.

Generally speaking the pump will supply more than you need, look at fuel delivery after the above.especially after checking the plugs.

Post pics and I'm sure your get a plethera of responses

If it's a dgav carb check that second choke butterfly is opening correctly at full throttle and that the choke butterfly is opening fully. I've had that happen before.

Then back to basics as had been said. Is the timing and valve clearances correct?

Yeah the secondary choke opening so just don't get it starts fine and drives okay just severe lack of power I am gonna get in garage on Wednesday car at in-laws and do all the usual running checks etc and also whip cam cover off and check valves etc

Just really frustrating as this car is all about driving pleasure and at minute there no pleasure when 1.0 corsa leaves me for dead