Nodiz Pro Ignition Help Me, Ignition Timing

Guest windscreen man

Guest windscreen man

Hi chaps, i hav fitted a redtop 2.0 with r1 carbs and nodiz pro ignition. I cant get the bugger to start, its firing popping and really trying to start but it just wont run. Things i can tell you is, the nodiz ignition is wired correctly and set up correct, carbs are fueling good and there is a good spark. Can any one shed any light on this?? I am guessing it may be my ignition timing (i am on a coil by the way ) how ever should the engine run once i set it to TDC because i have done it and it still won't start???? Bit complicated but any help and advice is welcome. Thanks lew

Guest 2b cruising

+1. This does happen quite often. You have to make sure tic No 1 is on power stroke and not exhaust. Just remember suck squeeze bang blow. Engine turns twice to the camshaft once.

Either that or like me spent ages diagnosing the problem after not being able to get the zetec to start only to establish there was a problem. Took head off to find three melted pistons! I did only pay 99p for the engine and prob should have checked it first but hey, two hrs later second engine in and running.

Hopefully nothing major and something silly

Guest windscreen man

Ok theduck, i have all the leads 1234 to the numbers on the coil which i numbered 1234 and they are in the correct order according to the numbers on the coil , or could they still need swaping around ? Thanx

Ok theduck, i have all the leads 1234 to the numbers on the coil which i numbered 1234 and they are in the correct order according to the numbers on the coil , or could they still need swaping around ? Thanx

Could still be 180 degrees out if you have timed them out at the crank.

EDIT: Scrap that, if its wasted spark, I dont think it matters

Edited by theduck

Guest nippynick

I have a nodiz and have had simillar problems it became better when i cooled down the advance on the ignition but i am still playing with it try setting your tickover advance at around 6 degrees before tdc

First off, there is no physical timing adjustment on the redtop, you time the cams and crank together when you fit the cam belt. If you've got that wrong then you'll need some new valves as it's an interference engine. All the timing adjustments are done within the mapping of the ecu.

So you're running NODIZ Pro, I've just had a look at their website and a couple of things come to mind.

Have you got a 2.0 redtop basemap loaded on the ecu?

Are you running the 60-2 internal trigger wheel or an external 36-1 and is the ecu set to recognise the right one?

Nodiz uses a 2 wire crank sensor, vauxhall original item is a 3 wire, could this cause a problem?

Is your ecu set up to run a TPS and if so have you got one fitted and wired in?

have you tried swapping the leads for 1&4 and 2&3 cylinders to the opposite sides of the coil pack?

Have you got the ecu connected to a laptop so that you can make any necessary adjustments to the ignition timing?

How much fuel are the webers chucking in, could it be flooding from the beginning?

Guest nippynick

No you adjust it with the ignition on and the engine stationary by using the blue tooth link to you laptop I had trouble with their software but found it worked ok using a computer with windows xp certatinly nothing later than windows 7.

using their instructions set up a programme to keep the engine in a fairly low state of advance and try to keep advance at tickover speed to a few degrees before tdc

Sorry read again and you've got R1 carbs not weber, but same applies is their too much fuel going in or is it to weak to start? Have you activated the cold start enrichment/choke on the carbs when you're trying to start it?

• Like 1