2B Chassis

Guest gazza1591

Guest gazza1591

Hi all

Was thinking to build a zero, but with tight budget was thinking to buy a 2b that's all ready to go, how does the chassis on the 2b hole due I have read they are kit the best? Can stress fracture easy? Also what's the room like in one compared to the zero? Can't find dimensions of the 2b and zero to compare them, I'm 6ft1 and we'll built so wondering if I will even fit in a 2b??

The 2b was designed to take a full sized car seat so width shouldn't be an issue. The leg room should be ok too and I'm sure that someone on here will testify to that too.

The zero comes in two sizes, the GT being slightly wider so if you're looking for a built one then that's the one to look for.

There are monthly meets in a variety of locations so your best bet is to try and attend one and ask politely if you can try some out for size.

Hope this helps

Dave

If you are worried about the strength of the 2B chassis, my friend demolished a wooden telegraph pole side on with his and he walked away with only a cracked rib. They are by far the strongest of the 7-type chassis in my opinion.

I'm also 6'1" and fit the 2b no problems. If you are building yourself you can make the panels hug the gearbox a little more for some more space. The drivers side is longer anyway and the pedals are quite high up so you can put your foot under the clutch when you are cruising.

I'm 6 foot 2 and fit my 2B fine although I would disagree that it takes normal width seats. I initially bought some Recaros from a Rover and they simply wouldn't go in. You can "force" the sierra donor seats in but you sit right to the outside of the chassis if you do.

My seats are the orginal sierra seats (grey velour - think they are made by recaro but aren't the fancy named ones) and they sit in there without a problem. In fact the only reason i keep them is because they are so comfortable. I've often thought about some bucket seats and wondered if i would feel as comfortable.

I had to modify them slightly by removing the seat adjuster (i've got them in a position i like anyway) and there are no runners so they are bolted to the floor to fit me but otherwise they fit with no problems in my car. They fit in the hole centrally so i dont feel i am to the outside of the chassis but perhaps you tried a different type of seat to the ones i have.

There are so many seats from the little hot hatches etc, on ebay now though it shouldn't be hard to find some to suit.