Steering Column Cowling

Guest jelleyhead

Guest jelleyhead

Hi all my steering column cowling has seen better days the one i have was a home made one so i got one from a sierra but it doesn't lineup with the stalks or the egnition barrel is there a difference in the cowlings from the sierra/sapphires. Can i use one from a different car or get some fibreglass and try and make my own any advice would be appreciated

Guest 2b cruising

Hi, I had one made through Simon B.

It is GRP and a heavy, strong item.

It will take a fair bit of work cleaning up and getting to fit good.

However the end product should be very good when cleaned up and shaped to fit my new GBS dashboard.

It has also been modded in the kwaka green of my days and body panels.

Total cost with postage was £35 which knowing the rarity of ford items, I am pleased with.

What colour would you like ?

Here's an example.

post-4714-0-04928400-1455661763_thumb.jpg

I am making some modifications to the original parts, smoothing out some areas and filling in some others. I'll leave all the holes filled in for you to cut out as desired. Not everyone wants column switches for example.

So far I have colours in

Orange, Yellow, Kawasaki Green, British Racing Green, White and of course Black.

Edited by Simon B

Hi there, apologies for this being a first post, couldn't find a say hello section. Simon, any possibility of a cowl in black?. I'll pm you my details and if you can advise payment, happy to settle up with you.

Thanking you in advance

Mike

Guest 2b cruising

Hi there, apologies for this being a first post, couldn't find a say hello section. Simon, any possibility of a cowl in black?. I'll pm you my details and if you can advise payment, happy to settle up with you.

Thanking you in advance

Mike

hi and a big welcome.

Usual place would be in members chit chat.

It would be worth saying hi again so as not to spoil the subject in this thread.

See you there. Regards Ken. 😀👍

Edited by 2b cruising

The price (whatever colour) is £30 for the pair of covers and £6 to cover postage, packing, paypal etc. If you want to gift the payment through paypal, I can deduct £1.

I am currently making a modification to the originals as you can see here.

New covers will not be ready for about 2 weeks. I am hoping they will be sooner though. No payments required until they ready. I will let you know when.

post-4714-0-92363600-1455724444_thumb.jpg post-4714-0-89712700-1455724455_thumb.jpg

(The hole in the larger one will also be filled in)

Simon.

Edited by Simon B

Guest Ian Maycock

I bought a top and bottom cowl of Simon some time ago. only just got around to fitting them. Depending on the column and they may not meet together. Mine fowls on the indicator relay. what i have done is glue some black cloth to the top cowl along the length on both sides and tucked this in the bottom cowl to hind all the wires ect.

Sorry to hear about your problems fitting these. I tried to make them as close to an exact copy of the originals as possible.

I am making some minor modifications to the mould which will give a little extra space in the bottom cowling. See my other post on this for a picture.

The original cowls came from a Sierra that was tucked away at the back of a local scrap yard.

Simon.