Series 3a Replacement Shocks

Guest roundy

I've got Spax units on mine (all round) I took 1 rear & 1 front to Demon Theives and got them to find similar sized replacements. the rears I had to get ones with 11" springs instead of the 9" ones fitted by RHSC.

For the fronts, with 9" springs, you need also to go lighter, say 130 - 140lbs instead of the 180lbs on the zimmerframes.

you'll also find that you'll need to adjust the damping to very light, I have mine just 1 click from the bottom setting

jim

Guest robinj66

the Sierra based S7 had similar (inboard) suspension to the S3. They were supplied with Spax units G451 which Spax say are available for £84.99 each plus springs.

I got the part number from the S7 "build manual".

Assuming the shocks on there currently fit OK, just that they don't work you want to replace with something that will be a direct fit but work well.

Remove one shock. Remove the spring from it. Measure the length, centre of eye to centre of eye, with them fully compressed and fully extended. Measure the internal diameter of the spring, either 1.9 or 2.25 inches. Also measure the internal diameter of the mounting eye holes so you know what size fixing bolt they use.

Now choose your shock manufacturer or supplier (AVO, GAZ, Spax, Protech). Order direct or via Rallye Design, Europa, Merlin, Demon Tweeks by quoting open and closed length, spring diameter, and choose end mounting. You should choose polybush (but there is a rose joint option for track) and quote the mounting bolt diameter. (Usually supplied for 1/2" bolt but if you specify 12mm or whatever the supplier will fit appropriate size bush.)

So you will order something like,

Pair of 1.9" coilover AVO shocks, 12" open, 9" closed, polybush ends with 12mm internal diameter crush tubes.

I would also look at softer springs such as 130 lb/inch. 150 if you and the usual passenger are on the lardy end of the scale, 110 if you are built like a racing snake and don't have any friends!

Nigel