Starting

Guest ben

Im having difficulty starting my engine. This is the first time i have tried since i removed it from the sierra. The cam belt turns slowly and the 2v weber is puffing a little. Ive replaced the ht leads and now have them in the correct order, the car seems as if it wants to start but it wont. there is petrol going to the engine. Im a bit stuck from here on what to do/ check. Help is appreciated.

Ben

Guest Tony Tank

Hi Ben have u had the dizzy out :o if so is it back correctly, try having the dizzy bolt lose and with someone trying to start it, turn the dizzy slighty one way then the other it should go. Once u have had it running set the timing up correctly ;) Tony

Guest Ben Salt

Hi Ben

I had this problem when i first installed my engine. Having sod all experience with cars and engines, it did worry me a bit when stuff started spurting out of the carb, and the engine was turning slowly!!! I resolved it by removing & rotating the distributor a little - dont forget that it will rotate back slightly when you replace it due to the angles on the cogs. This, with a bit of wiggling the cap when the engine was turning over allowed me to start it

Hope this helps

Ben

Ben

This is how to do it properly...

Connect a light bulb between the coil +ve and chassis/earth

With all the plugs out and the HT lead removed (for safety this is important) from the coil, turn the engine over with a spanner until the timing mark is about 5mm from TDC on the pulley.

If you have the rocker cover off make sure its No1 at TDC, where both rockers are free i.e no valve open on No1 cylinder.

Rotate dissy anti-clockwise until the light goes out...just as it goes out is the point where it will fire. Tighten bolt...all you need to do now is connect No1 spark plug to where the arm is pointing and the rest in order 1-3-4-2 going clockwise :)

Done

Dave

PS make sure your battery is in the right place :p