Looking At This Tomorrow...advice Needed!

Guest Irishood

Guest Irishood

First off, hello! Seems like a great forum with plenty of info and help available!

I am looking at this tomorrow and need some advice - http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C151342/

This will be my first venture into the kit car world so I'm a little wet behind the ears when it comes to what I need to look out for! The seller seems to be a fairly straight and honest chap and he has described the car to me in detail over the phone - 'worts and all'. I know the car isn't going to be perfect at this money and I am prepared to work at the car over time.

What are the main things I need to look out for....and given what you can tell from the ad (not a lot I know) am I potentially walking into a nightmare?

Thanks in advance!

Rich

Guest The Modfather

Welcome aboard!

That is extremely cheap for a good looking car like that. Paint looks fresh, 2.1 pinto, twin 40's. I would go over the chassis with a fine tooth comb to check for cracks or accident damage. Of course double check the chassis and engine number against the V5, and I would defo contact HPI or similar.

If this motor is straight, you have a bargain.

Personally, and probably because I'm old bill, I would be cautious at this price. Just be carefull.

Is the seller a member of RHOCaR? If not, why not?

Guest Alan_builder
First off, hello! Seems like a great forum with plenty of info and help available!

I am looking at this tomorrow and need some advice - http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C151342/

This will be my first venture into the kit car world so I'm a little wet behind the ears when it comes to what I need to look out for! The seller seems to be a fairly straight and honest chap and he has described the car to me in detail over the phone - 'worts and all'. I know the car isn't going to be perfect at this money and I am prepared to work at the car over time.

What are the main things I need to look out for....and given what you can tell from the ad (not a lot I know) am I potentially walking into a nightmare?

Thanks in advance!

Rich

Hi Rich,

Welcome to the forum.

Initial reaction, body looks good in the photo, wiring a mess and the seller is confused using Robin Hood and Westfield in the description.

It looks like a Robin Hood, make sure the log book/ V5 say Robin Hood and not Westfield, both make 7s but it is vital the identity is valid.

I can't really see if it is a mono cock or if it has a chassis, visit the North West web for identification listing. As its painted it must be a MS body and not SS, so have a loot for rust. If it is a mono cock look for stress areas and cracking.

I :wub: my :rhsc:

Guest Irishood

Ok, went to see the car this afternonn and have to say I was pretty impressed. The engine is very sweet and the gearbox it also very good. The brakes are pulling very slightly to the left but I think this was just a sticky caliper as this seems to cure itself after a few miles (car had been sitting unused for a while)

The car is very much as described and showing no signs of abuse or accident damage. It is registered correctly as a Robin Hood on the log book.

I had never driven a highly tuned pinto engine (he seems to think it is producing around 150bhp)and it certainly wouldn't be a car just to potter around in at low revs - the engine sounded most at home when revved a little, however, having said that the idle was very steady and it started first time. Bloody noisey exhaust though - but I think this is par for the course on these cars!

He has a spare set of minilite alloys and a few other bits including front wings etc.

I have offered him a final price of £2750 for the car and not sure he is going to take it to be honest. He is going to call me back over the weekend with an answer - but I will not go over this budget (I had hoped he would take £2500!) Cheeky I know, but I have to draw the line somewhere!

It's a twelve year old build so it is by no means concurs condition - but I was not expecting it to be perfect. It does, however, seem to be a genuine solid little car which drives well and looks surprising fresh!

Cheers

Rich

Guest Irishood

Deal done at £2750 - inc all the spare parts he has, minlites (with decent tyres), wings, manifold etc etc.....I think it's a bargain at this and can't wait to collect it next week.

Meant to mention before, the car has a de-dion rear axle which I've done a little research on and this seems to be a good thing - any advice on this chaps?

Next task is to find someone who'll lend me a car trailer! Don't fancy driving it back 200 miles with those seats!

Cheers,

Rich

Welcome to the hood brother looks a nice little motor hope it brings hours of fun & don't be shy to ask for help on here ive found it very helpful a great bunch of guys & dolls on here

Andy

the car has a de-dion rear axle which I've done a little research on and this seems to be a good thing - any advice on this chaps?

are you sure about that? It looks like a robin hood to me, but i don't believe any came with de-dion suspension.

Looks like you got a good deal though.

I managed to transport a set of 4 alloys and tyres with my car in one trip, it's possible!

The early monocoque's had a di-dion rear axle from the cortina, but also had the cortina front end grafted on, this looks to have the "Series 1" (known as the S7) front end, which is much better than the old cortina lot.

Things to look for are; stress cracks where the angle iron front end is bolted to the tub, the rear axle banging the bodywork on acceleration/cornering, cooling problems, check the shockers, if it's still on the original zimmerframes, get rid QUICK!

You'd also better buy shares in your local petrol supplier with those twin 40's fitted, expect less than 20 mpg.

Other than that, it's just the usual Robin Hood build problems, which are all down to just how much of a tight wad the builder was originally.

Guest Irishood

Cheers Big Jim

I'm told the car is a series 2 (stated on log book)- and looking at the north west owners club site model identifier - http://nw.rhocar.org/identification.htm this would seem correct - 'the bottom radius arms attach to the RH frame - whereas on the Mark 1/Series 1 it's still in the sierra framework'. It's difficult to see this in the ad pictures but the seller sent me the same pics in high res and it is much clearer to see the front suspension set up - which is defo series 2.

Strange about the de-dion rear axle - to be honest I was not familiar with them so didn't know the difference when i looked underneath - so just took his word for it. I took it for a good drive on a range of twisty bumpy roads and the car handled very well with no knocks or creaks from the suspension when cornering/accelerating - so hopefully it's fine!

The MPG shouldn't pose a huge issue as I'd imagine I'll only be taking it out on dry weekends/evenings....which are few and far between here in West Wicklow!! Plus they do sound awesome!!