Identifying Sierra Rear End

Guest evildave

Guest evildave

So I want to stick an LSD in but not sure what size my sierra rear is 7" or 7.5"? I think I have a 3.62:1 but will be heading closer to 4:1 if I can now that I'm running on 16" wheels.

Is there a way of telling what it is by looking at the outside? Are there drive shaft differences as well I need to be careful of?

Cheers

Push in driveshafts (no visible bolts) at the diff end and it'll be 7" (could actually be a 6.5" but for the purposes of swapping they're the same externally).

Bolt on shafts at the diff end can be 7" or 7.5" in which case if the top fixing that goes across the diff is a single long bolt it's 7" or 2 separate bolts will be 7.5". If you measure across the diff casing at this point, a 7.5" diff is 195mm and a 7" is about 185mm. The 7" and 7.5" designations are the crownwheel size, not the casing width.

Bolt on driveshafts will be 100mm or 108mm. The bigger joints are 2WD Cossy Sierra and Cossy Scorpio. The 108mm joints are easy to get new, the shafts aren't and second hand ones are rare and pricey. 100mm shafts are probably preferred, all new parts are available and second hand parts from 4wd Cossy and bigger power Sierras are easy to find.

7.5" diffs only come with drum brakes and the suspension arms are slightly different with 108mm joints (more clearance required).

Best advice is to buy a complete rear beam if you want discs and an lsd, that way you can see everything is compatible. Buy separate and it'll cost more - ask me how I know. I run a 7.5" Cossy Scorpio diff with 108mm Cossy shafts.

Last of all, Scorpio beam is the same width as a Sierra one but has 5 stud wheels. 4 stud hubs for 108mm shafts are almost impossible to get hold of.

Edited by richyb66
  • Like 1

Guest Tim Norman

Just a little hi jacking here.

My 7.5" 3.62 slipper is geared wrong for the V8. at 70mph it is doing 3000 rpm.

Can I fit a different crown wheel to it or is it more complicated than that?

Guest Tim Norman

Git!

I have been looking for one of those for months, is it the one with the 0.63 5th?

Was thinking Tremec T5 until I saw the prices!

Edited by Tim Norman