Pillar Drill Recommendations

Guest mcramsay

Guest mcramsay

Im looking to buy a bench top pillar drill, with a budget of £100. Been looking on eBay and it seems to be full of crap silverline or Chinese versions, any one found a half decent one? Not looking for the best drill in the world just something for drilling holes in the odd bracket here and there.

Guest jhfozzy

Take a visit to any local farmers / business auctions. There are always a few heavy duty tools in the mix.

As you've seen, the majority of new stuff is "Made in China" and it's true, they don't make them like they used to.

As said above, old is better even if you have to change the motor from 3phase to single.

Look for one with a gearbox between the motor and head (normally hi/low range) as the problem with most ‘cheap’ drills is that when you want to drill a decent sized hole, either the motor stalls or the belt slips - the gearbox takes away this problem.

Edited by steamer

Guest mcramsay

Yea we have lots of old machines in the workshop at work and they are built like tanks, I didnt think of converting from 3 phase to single phase... worth looking at!

A few of my machines have been converted to single phase by changing the motor. You can pick up cheap 3phase machines and new single phase motors are pretty cheap as well.

This is my old drill. 32mm twist drill through 1” steel plate without breaking a sweat (this is where the gearbox comes into its own);

3_F988101-_B40_E-4_F4_E-_AB23-0_FDDC2_EB

• Like 1

A few of my machines have been converted to single phase by changing the motor. You can pick up cheap 3phase machines and new single phase motors are pretty cheap as well.

This is my old drill. 32mm twist drill through 1” steel plate without breaking a sweat (this is where the gearbox comes into its own);

3_F988101-_B40_E-4_F4_E-_AB23-0_FDDC2_EB

Even got a good traditional belt guard called common sense !!!!!!!!

I bought a 500w einhell drill press. Works pretty well for what i need it to do and 500w is bigger than most of the cheap ones. Had it for a couple of years.

The only slightly annoying thing is having to manually adjust the table part by sliding and locking rather than ones where you can wind it up and down. but i don't think you'll get that on any of the budget ones.

Oh the arms occasionally unscrew but a bit of locktite would sort that if i really wanted.

hth