Supercharger On A Silvertop Zetec

richardm6994

awesome to see it progress pic by pic

do you have to lower the compression for a supercharger/turbo on the zetec?

I quite fancy a 1.4 turbo in my 2b. It would prob give about 50-60bhp (if it was 130bhp like the fiat turbo) more than my 1.6pinto, save 30-40kg (at a guess) and i'd save ~£100 a year on tax (i registered in 2007 so would've saved about £900 so far). Although insurance might go up a bit so savings might not be so much.

Bailey performance advised (from their own experiences) that the 2.0ltr zetecs could be boosted to 10-11psi on standard internals and no decompression plate without problems. These eaton chargers produce around 7-8psi so comfortably within that limit.

Edited by steamer

Guessing the power output is somewhat difficult. Based on previous charger projects;

1.8 standard mazda engine ran an Eaton M45 charger, produced 7psi of boost and produced 230bhp

The charger on this project was virtually brand new and had coated rotors

around 1.9 pulley ratio

Canems ECU

2.0 standard zetec blacktop engine ran an Eaton M62 charger, produced 6.5psi of boost and produced 200bhp.

The charger on this project was well used and the rotors were not coated.

around 2.1 pulley ratio

Omex ECU (from memory)

This project;

2.0 Zetec silvertop which has already been modified (cams etc...)

The charger on this project is in much better condition than the other M62 charger, but not as good condition as the M45 was in.

The rotors are not coated.

around 2.3 pulley ratio

Canems ECU

So in my opinion;

The 230bhp Mazda engine charger project exceeded estimations because the charger was in such good / new condition and also had coated rotors.

The 200bhp blacktop zetec under-performed because the charger was pretty used and the rotors didn't seem to seal as well as others I've seen.

The silvertop Zetec..........the charger is in good condition, albeit not coated rotors. It has a higher pulley ratio which should help produce a bit more boost and also the engine has been tuned up....the optimistic side of me sees no reason why we should be around 270bhp......but in reality, I would say around 250bhp is a good target figure for this project

Guest lotusPaul

Looks great.can't wait to get mine done. I'd settle for 200bhp from the 1.8 silver top, it's got uprated, reprofiled 2.0 cams too. In a 600kg Elan that's fun.

Good work Steamer look fantastic.

• 3 weeks later...