Engine Making Ticking Noise

agent_zed

• 1 year later...

So i have found out the problem and also realised how little i have driven my car in the past year. Finally got round to taking the head off to see what is going on with the compression on #1 cylinder.

So i take off the inlet manifold and have a look down the holes at the valves and the #1 valve looks weird and sticking up... so i poke it and a bit moves ..so i get a screwdriver and poke the bit of metal out to find what was once a flanged nut. Which looks (looked) suspiciously like the type used to hold the carb on the manifold, which was where it had probably fallen off and into the manifold when i did the head gasket last year. DOH!

I remember at the time when i did the head gasket and turned it over it made an awful clunking sound and i thought i had done the timing wrong and perhaps a valve was touching a piston (i couldn't really see how though as the lines all lined up) so anyway i re-did the belt and it then seemed to be fine. I assume when i re-did the belt the nut had perhaps moved back into the manifold and was no longer stopping the valve shutting.

I think it must have hit the valve that first time before the nut bounced free as there is a little mark on the piston and with the valve in a drill i can see a wobble when it spins. :(

The nut is now almost round and smooth and explains the 'ticking' noise. At the time i put it down to my new 4-1 exhaust manifold that i made as it figured it was thinner than the cast one so let out more sound or had a different resonance.

moral of the story... look after your nuts or they will get squished!

anyone know the best place to get an inlet valve for a 1.6 eco-max engine?