Garage Size

jaimo

Guest 2b cruising

If it's going to be heated, anything to big will cost the earth to heat.

If for two cars, just enough to open drivers doors on both cars.

If for one car, about 1.5 cars width and length is ample for bench at front and work space from, rear and both sides.

If not winter heated, as big as you can with the footprint to suit your land space.

Well basically i can use 9ft of outbuilding if remove walls ewternal and internal and extend out about 10ft so approx 19ft long and about 10ft wide only for kit but trying to future proof garage

• Like 1

Guest Ian & Carole

It's like all things we need, how long is a piece of string?

How much land have you got available?

No matter how big you build you will always want more.

This is one of mine, another single behind where the Se7en lived.

2014-03-29%2009.41.27_zpsso5rm4em.jpg

It also has a pit 6' deep and 12' long, wish it was 4' wider though.

Must type faster!!!!

Edited by Ian & Carole

The measurements i said before is basicaly what i got as can use outbuildings but not toilet (for the kids in garden wife foot down) and extend out upto biggest side window so outlander can fit on drivewand shut gate

20161009_191641_zpssoycfior.jpg

20161009_191603_zpseqs5hxkp.jpg

20161009_191702_zpsez9jajog.jpg

Looking at the plans I'd suggest using all the outbuildings as a garage and go slightly further back also into the rear garden.

Still have the "outside" toilet but make it a mini washroom within the new garage.

Extending the drain for the loo is a simple enough job.

If funds and planning allow is also go for a pitched roof. Gives loads more long term storage space.

Oi.... Shelton! This is right up your street buddy.

If you need a Cad Model or Drawing doing just ask mate.

Cad models in 3D then printed out on paper are brilliant aids when trying to persuade the wife. A picture is worth a thousand words as they say! ;)

Welcome anytime buddy.

I'll just need X,Y,Z dimensions of anything you want modelling in.

Can even fit workbenches / toolboxes in to give a true feel of the finished thing.

Always looks good in full 3D with the roof removed so you get the birds eye view.

Easy solution -- change the name on the lounge to garage -- add double doors -- build new lounge to side of house.

The bonus is direct access to kitchen for for coffee -- will save your wife a few steps.

My garage/workshop is 14 by 28 feet by the time the walls are covered in shelves/tool cabinets/workbenches it's tight & Florin goes in the green-house (double doors)to allow space for other big works.

On our previous house we did just that as we had no side space! Put a hallway in to get to the rear of the house and extended the living space at the rear.

Jaimo, go for the biggest garage that you can economically get in the space. I've got a workbench in mine but could really do with fitting a couple of machine tools in as I have to go down the garden to the workshop (large shed!) to use those and it's a pain when it's raining or snowing. Also look at fitting an insulated door as you get a lot of heat lost through a normal garage door. Someone I know has the domestic roller door type and it's great - no draughts and minimal heat loss. I insulated the roof of my garage.