Got The Wind Up....... Help

DoctorDee

Me again......Gladys in the Nude....Can anyone identify the donor vehicle the fan came from..... I want to fit a fan on the back of the rad to improve air flow which means binning this one....... As I'm an electrical numpty if it is sierra what would be the amp rating on the motor....The standard of the power supply to the fan motor indicates the quality of the wiring on the whole vehicle ....winging over....Any help would be as always much appreciated

post-13927-0-33126700-1483562029_thumb.jpg

Edited by DoctorDee

That fan is designed to be fitted directly to the back of the rad and suck air through the rad.

Using it the way it is fitted, even if the fan is turning the right way, is very inefficient.

It looks like the Rover fan that was available from RHE.

The Sierra did not have an electrical fan.

I just had a look at the way the fan is fitted...it looks about 2 inches away from the rad.

Any air it may be blowing will spill out the sides rather than being forced through

the fan itself.

Fit it to the back of the rad, check that it is sucking air through the rad,

& you probably wont need to spend a penny

Edited by Bob Tucker

Almost any automotive fan will do considering amps, they should not draw much more than 6-8amps. There is some science around litre's, coolant capacity, type of coolant, water pump, engine optimum running temp etc. this one will be fine http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/12-electric-cooling-fancomes with free fitting kit. You should ensure it has a separate power supply.

The fan is not going to push or pull air through the rad at any more than about 20mph air speed. That means that if the car is moving above 20mph, the fan becomes an air flow restriction. Take Bobs advice, fit the fan behind, but also cut off as much of the excess housing as you dare. That will remove the restriction, increase air flow and thus increase cooling.

Guest mower man

Letting hot air out is very important !! louvered bonnet , side louvres , even jack the bonnet up a little at the rear + exhaust wrap cured my 2.1 which was iffy for a while best result was 2 small fans and ensuring aer goes through the core not round it :acute: mick

There was some reseach done on automotive fan's .....it makes no difference which side of the rad it sits as the shadow it causes is the same in front or behind.

any thing blocking air flow .....blocks airflow..in front or behind.

Fit your fan where it fits best.just fit it close to the rad...

Guest 2b cruising

Erm, not quite.

The shape of the scoop in the blades determines which way it is supposed to spin to do its job efficiently.

That's why your fan is designed to pull air through the rad, not push as it is shown.

Sorry Snowy, but Im with Ken on this one.

I was referring to the specific fan fitted to Gladys.

Each blade is curved to an aerofoil shape, which will lose about 30%

efficiency if running backwards, which it must be, fitted like that.

You also need to get the polarity for the motor correct, to get it turning in the right

direction.

To summarise....if Doc wants to keep that fan, it must be fitted to the rear

of the rad, with the cowl hard up against the the cooling vanes and with the

fan pulling air through the rad.

As its fitted it has everything wrong, no wonder it doesnt cool well.......

My reaction is that above a certain air speed the cooling of a radiator plateaus out, depends on how many rows the rad has the more the higher the needed air speed.

But 20 MPH through the rad should be near the max cooling any more air has little effect.

Edited by IanS

I would dearly love to retain the existing fan an install it behind the rad.......Unfortunately...see piccie..(View of rad from rear)......I'm pretty sure I will have to go to an to aftermarket fan.....them construct a cowl to direct as much air into the rad as possible

post-13927-0-82140400-1484279167_thumb.jpg