Gearbox Removal

Guest gazza1591

Guest gazza1591

Hi all is it possible to remove a gearbox on its own on the s7? Mine has a leak from somewhere and was gonna get it off over winter and get a rebuild done on it. Just don't really want to remove engine if I don't have to

Engine & box in one, you need to get it well off the floor. You can however pull out the engine first, then the box, but you still need to get it well up from the floor.

Edited by Big Jim

Jim - are you talking about taking it out from underneath? I always found taking the engine out separately was the best option but I was using a crane. Taking both out together was more tricky single-handed and I seem to remember losing most of the gearbox oil out of the propshaft orifice!

No, it would need to come out through the top, and the car would need to be up off the floor enough to allow the engine & box to tilt upwards, yes you will loose the g/box oil via the prop, but if you're taking the box out at all, it needs draining first anyway. On your own, I'd do it one at a time then, engine out then box.