Propshaft Smashed Through The Tunnel

Guest Johnboy27

Guest Johnboy27

I have 1997 Robin Hood S7 with a monocoque chassis, 2.0 ltr pinto with a 4 speed gearbox, everything was fine until the other night while travelling at about 70mph the was a horrible vibration for 5 seconds then a Big Bang from the tunnel, the next thing I could feel the propshaft repeatedly whacking me leg after it had smashed my fibreglass seat, the front joint is a rubber doughnut type and it had fallen apart.

As the tunnel is ripped and bent on both side and the top and the floor I have cut a hole to inspect, I have removed the prop and it has a 3 bolt flange on it to bolt the doughnut to, but the bit thats still in the gearbox just seems to have a few bits of rubber left and nowhere to fix a new doughnut to, Ive looked on eBay and the doughnuts seem to have 6 holes, (3 for each flange)

My question is, were there different types of doughnuts on different years or is the difference between 4 speed or 5 speed. I think the engine and box were from a 1979 cortina but it has the Sierra rear suspension and diff, any advice would be appreciated, would I be better off getting a new prop made with proper u.js both ends ?

Guest lotusPaul

How is your monocoque?

I mean is it salvagable.

If not i have one you can have. Down south but extremely cheap.

Second comments by Mr Duck. Get rid, get new.

But first off all, are you ok. Must have hurt.

Guest Johnboy27

Thank you yes I think it will be safer in the long run to get one professionally made,

Oh yes it did hurt my leg as the prop was obviously spinning until the cat came to a standstill, badly bruised leg but at least that will fix for free, unlike the car, I think the car will be ok, a lot of cutting and welding to do, while I’m on with it I will make a section of the top of the tunnel unboltable so the prop can be removed without taking the engine and box out.

Thanks for the replies, will update when fixed and try upload some photos

Unfortunately this was a common issue just too much angle for the donut to take. Back in 1994 when the S7 first came out it was common knowledge to get rid ASAP and fit UJs, I guess as time has passed the issue was forgotten. At least your okay and cars hopefully repairable.

I have fitted thick metal plates inside the tunnel to stop the prop breaking through if it did let go.

Alternitively you could use square tube.

The tunnel is an important part of the chassis integrity so youll need to do some serious work to get it safe.

Consider running a central box spine from back to front

Guest Johnboy27

Thanks for all the replies,

Thats very kind for the offer of the spare prop and for the offer of a spare car, thanks guys I will come back to you.

Hopefully will get the grinder out at the weekend and hope its salvagable,

I will also measure the prop.

Trying to upload some photos