Too Much Advance? Difficult Starting

agent_zed

haven't driven the 2b much and had to do a bit of engine work (bent valve) and since then ive found that it doesn't seem to want to start very well. had to set timing roughly as not sure where my timing light is at the moment, but it seemed ok when running.

It normally takes a bit of time for the petrol to get through if i haven't started it in a while (normal) and during this time the engine turns easily. I noticed though that once there is petrol (i am assuming this is why) it then starts to struggle and it goes fast then slow then fast then slow etc eventually it fires but can take a while and i have to be careful as the starter cable gets hot if i keep it going for ages..

Is it likely that the advance is too high and is causing it to ignite too early?

Does sound like too much ignition advance but as you have had the head off cam timing could also be a problem. Also switching to electric fuel pump will get the fuel through to stop that delay and fitting bigger starter and engine earthing cables sounds like a good idea.

Edited by Longboarder

it's only a pinto on the standard electronic bosch setup.

I need to find my strobe, which would probably be a good start. I guess i could just turn the dizzy a bit and see if it makes it better.

Will double check cam timing but it seems ok when it's running/driving.

Not too worried about the fuel taking a while to get through it's been like it for 10 years so iam quite used to it :)

Perhaps a renew of the cables might be a good maintainance job eitherway. I did clean the ends and copper grease the other day which seemed to improve things slightly.

thanks all

Guest lotusPaul

A very quickest search would give 8, 10,12 deg, for leaded,or 4,6,8 for unleaded depending on year. I have set at 10 and had no issues on any engine,

As you only have an 81mm bore which is less than my 83.5 you should be able to run less,ie lower number depending on curve. Mines 8deg on a lotus twincam

The other "by ear" method would be to give as much advance as you can till you hear pinking, then back off a degree or 2.

I would also consider your cam timing too as the head was off,just to be 100% sure,

one of those days when things seem to be going right! sorted the clutch and found my timing light the other day so just went and set the timing.

yes it was well off the mark! which explains the difficult starting.

even found my tipex pen which is really useful for marking the crank pulley markings.

all timed up correctly and running nicely (on the drive will see how it goes on the way to Mot tomorrow) :)

thanks all