Speedo Cable

Guest BrianS

Driving myself barmy trying to get the circlip to hold the end of the speedo cable into the gearbox. I can't feel a groove for it to go into, and certainly can't see anything ! Is there an easy way ? I wondered if using one of the right-angled converter drives may make life easier ? Anyone had the same probs ? Did you solve them - and how ?

Brian S

Guest Ian & Carole

Hi Brian

Have you tried lowering the gearbox mount? undoing the left hand engine mount and lifting that side of the engine up so the gearbox twists slightly?

That might just give you a bit more space, just a thought.

When I first fitted the gearbox (Wont help you now, but it may help some newbies!!!)

I ground down the tubular flange so the circlip was only about 2 mm deep.

BUT when I fitted the Redtop, I had to reposition the gearbox a bit.

Could I B*&^ery get the damn circlip in place??? No!

I got over the problem by pushing the cable as hard against the box as I could then tie wrapping the outer cable to the chassis rail at several points after making sure it was square.....

It's still in place & working after 6 k miles, 2 LeMans trips, two Barkstones, one track day at Brands and two RWYBs at the pod....it aint gonna fall out now!!!!

Bob

Guest BrianS

Hi to all who replied to my post.

Many thanks for all your suggestions, comments, sympathy !

I'm back from my hols now, so it's back to the task of finishing this build - with your help !

Thanks

Brian S

(incidentally - I'm in Brum)

Hi to all who replied to my post.

Many thanks for all your suggestions, comments, sympathy !

I'm back from my hols now, so it's back to the task of finishing this build - with your help !

Thanks

Brian S

(incidentally - I'm in Brum)

I'm in Sutton

My Superspec is finished so can give you a hand if you would like help...

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jonathan Tall
we didnt have any problems with the circlip just kinda bent it on and bent it back.....pliers are the way forward!

God I hate this problem!

I have managed to 'fit' this circlip a number of times, Although I wound up making a sizeable hole in the centre tunnel for access.

BUT, I didn't think I had space to get the cable down the tunnel (Bend would be too tight), So I used the hole in the centre tunnel to bring the speedo cable straight out & under the drivers side carpet (held securely in place by 'rivet-tiewraps') before turning it up the inside of the car (still under carpet) before plugging it into the Instrument cluster.

I'm fedup with refitting the damned thing (Have to remove all carpeting etc.) when it comes unplugged!

I've just phoned Europa spares to order a right angle drive and I'd need a new bl@@dy cable because the Adaptor takes a screw-on fiting rather than a Ford.. PLUS..

They're out of stock and their supplier can't give a date due to parts problems!

AAARRGGHHH!!

AM I WRONG? Can the cable be bent sharply enough to come back down the tunnel as in the Sierra? :help:

n.b. I have an EXMO (First batch) with a 5 speed Type 9 box.

P.S. Is there an emoticon for repeatedly banging your head against a wall?? :D

Guest old_timbo

I got my 90 deg drive from Speedy cables http://www.speedycables.co.uk/ They make up cables to order too. The drive is still 'held-in' by the dreaded circlip. I found that the groove in my gearbox wasn't deep enough for the clip to hold the drive securely. However as the cable is screwed onto the drive, I could cable tie the cable to the side of the the tunnel and everything stays in place. Originally my cable was under the carpet. No way would it bend tight enough to go any other route, however maybe things are tighter on a 2B.

Tim