207 Peugeot Prob

stevedohc2b

is the power steering mechanical? or one of those new fangled electric jobbers?

If it was me and i didn't want to spend 2k i'd start by examining every inch of wiring i can get to. WD40'ing everything as the damp weather could be shorting wires somewhere.

I think new fangled electric jobbers?

And MD says a water leek from screen washer pump has caused it this is in the front drivers side wing and PS1 fuse box is in side engine bay passengers side inner wing ( WTF )

stephen

Edited by stevedohc2b

If it's taken on water and has corrosion issues in the wiring, it's not going to be an easy fix and probably not cheap however it's done. Given that it's a 7 year old car, this leaves 2 options:

1. Put 60spi in the front tyres and part-ex it for another car.

2. Cut his losses - torch it, try to make it look like the fire started in the fusebox and let the insurance sort it out.

Sometimes it just isn't worth spending money on costly repairs.

Had the same sort of thing on a ford a couple of months ago.

Car kept throwing different fault codes like no tomorrow, first it said catalytic convertor was gone switch off and restart then the laptop said crankshaft sensor was shot but the car was running fine. :blink: :wacko:

After a bit of head scratching I found it to be the multi plug on top of the gearbox was rusty as hell when I pulled it apart, carefully took it apart cleaned it out gave a good soak in good old WD40 left it for an hour to do its stuff reassembled the plug, cleared the codes and the car is now good as new.

Why oh why do these felt tip fairies put multi plugs, fuses and the such like in stupid places heaven know :glare:

Why oh why do these felt tip fairies put multi plugs, fuses and the such like in stupid places heaven know :glare:

Basically because the stuff has to go somewhere and as cars become more complex and have more stuff on then, there's less sensible places left to fit things. The overiding concern is usually making the car easy to assemble because this is where the big time and cost savings can be made. I see these sort of issues every day at work and find it very frustating. Additionally, it's basically impossible to make anything 100% waterproof if it's mass produced so some some degree of water ingress is inevitable and things will ofter get damaged as a result.

Guest Ian & Carole

Spoke with my Son-in-Law last night who is a "senior tech" at the Pug main Dealer here in Lincoln, he said that if they change the loom and the fuse box they need to be configured to the individual car so not really a DIY job and that water in the fuse box is a fairly common fault.

These water issues aren't unique to Peugeot. The C6 shape Audi A6's (c2004 onwards) also suffer from water in the plenum panel at the base of the screen getting into the fusebox and ECU due to blocked drain tubes. Big bill to fix due to high parts cost and lengthy labour to swap parts (fusebox, harness and ECU are one of the first things fitted to the body when cars are built).

Cleaning and unblocking of the tubes (dirt and leaf debris) was added to the official service schedule for these cars and allegedly Audi wouldn't accept warranty claims for water leaks unless the car had a full, documented service record.

Basically because the stuff has to go somewhere and as cars become more complex and have more stuff on then, there's less sensible places left to fit things. The overiding concern is usually making the car easy to assemble because this is where the big time and cost savings can be made. I see these sort of issues every day at work and find it very frustating. Additionally, it's basically impossible to make anything 100% waterproof if it's mass produced so some some degree of water ingress is inevitable and things will ofter get damaged as a result.

Your telling me lol !!

Having spent 30 plus year in the motor trade I've seen it all and nothing is a surprise anymore.

Give me points and condenser any day !!!!!

Guest 2b cruising

Hi Stephen. My wife ran one of these from new in 2002 until last year. This. Exact fault happened to her. I was lucky enough to have a mate with a write off with the exact same pump. The ecu for the pump was mounted on the pump, but be careful, there are many different ones. I fitted the pump then traced the abs fault to the same side front abs sensor. Replaced this with a new part from a company, German/French Car Parts in Purfleet near Lakeside shops. The problem all started from a cracked under wing cover. Had no further problems till the car died last year having done nearly 300000 miles. Hope this helps you. Ken

• 2 weeks later...