Could Someone Explain My Ignition System C20Xe

Guest A.B

I'm a little confused over my ignition system and which HT lead set I should be using. the lead version in the car is for a dizzy ignition system. I bough it this way. Might sound like a daft question but it's been bothering me & I'd like to understand it.

Pic: 1q6gy1.jpg

Guest 2b cruising

You will do no damage to the engine no matter what leads you are using. Very slight differences in resistance will make very little difference to the timing.

If your car has been rolling road set up, you should keep these leads on.

The small lead spoken about, when picture zoomed the cable is going down the side of your engine block.

Regards, Ken

http://tinypic.com/r/im5hc6/8

Thats a full set of leads. I'm my case I'm using from the top, leads 1,2,3 & the bottom dizzy lead is being used as the 4th going directly to the spark plug. If I was to remove the 4th plug you wouldn't get it back onto the spark plug without removing the cam cover, threading it through the cam and pushing directly onto the plug.

The car is going in for a rolling road so I'd like to try and sort this lead situation out beforehand.

My wiring diagram doesn't explain the ignition system at all I gather it was fitted after the initial build

Guest Ian & Carole

Yes the red part unscrews which you could plug in 4 normal HT leads without any trouble. Yet the one lead is for the dizzy... Hence no long plastic piece to push into the plug. It's just the bottom cable in the picture above going directly to the spark plug.

It was like then when I purchased the car. I need to buy new leads hence why I'm trying to work out my ignition system as i don't think its the typical dizzy set up for these engines? Possibly an aftermarket ignition setup? Is there much of a difference between dizzy designed leads & dizzy less leads?

Ok, It's a late dizzyless engine so why would someone put a dizzy lead to a spark plug? Sorry for all the confusion.

It looks like all of the magnecor leads come with a dizzy lead so am I right in thinking I can buy any c20xe lead be it dizzy or dizzyless?

I couldnt find a set of leads that fitted my redtop either.

I am using a cavalier dizzy & coil....not state of the art,,,,,but nor am I...

I finished up with Sierra leads that fitted the dizzy, but only had a short plug cap.

I have to use long forceps to fit & remove them.

There seems to be a ploblem matching the long plastic plug cap with the right ends to fit a dizzy.

Some more pics a bit clearer & bigger for my old peepers may help

Cheers Bob

Ignition leads are generally the same, Dizzy or coil pack

The fittings on the coil pack end differ from the dizzy slightly, on some not at all

There is little science about the leads, I have used standard coil pack Fiesta leads on my Megajolt Pinto for years with no issues

You can make up leads if you find the plug ends

You could buy another set of leads and just use the 1 from the set with the correct length keeping the others as spates

It's not a lot of money