It Support Rang Me Today ...

I've just had some fun with some scammers who rang me this morning. I'll give you a short transcript so you know what to listen for. (I had some fun stringing them along, I was reeling them in... They were Phising ME ! Ha!)

You too can string them along saying "Ooh, my computer is JUST starting up, it's really SLOW these days" and wait 5 to 10 minutes. "Ohh, it's just restarted itself, why did it do that?

(another 5 - 10 minutes pass)

If you can afford the time it's good fun. I think next time I'll insist on getting their details as they have just called a phone at "a scene of a murder", so you must know the deceased? And we need to take your details down as you may be implicated in a crime? If you hand up, you become our prime suspect in this murder? (That should be fun !)

So, a short transcript ...

----------------------------------------

They'll tell you that your "router" (which is connected to your laptop / computer) is downloading malicious file to your computer.

The first thing to note is that they'll say they are calling from your ISP (mine is talktalk) and are you sitting at your computer?

"I'll just turn mine on", I said (and waited until it had started - took nearly 5 or 6 minutes ...) !

"find the windows key on your computer and press r when you press that", they said (I had a really bad line with them - which is suspicious ...)

Now type in the "run box" which appears and then they call out each letter in turn, often with things like "T, for tiger" (which SHOULD be Tango, again suspicious)

"d, for diver", I said.

"no, no, t for tiger ...", Charles Xavier said (with a very strong indian accent ...) (he passed me to another indian accented Kevin ... Yea, right !)

"Do you mean t for tango?", I said (surely they must twig something by now?) Nope !

They carried on with the script in front of them.

So, I had a bit of fun and strung them along for a bit ...

I asked them for my name and address (which they couldn't supply and said they were only the IT support "International technical" - What?!! I said? That's not what it stands for, but they insisted... :)

I even said they were trying to scam an IT technician, but they said "no,no, why would we scam you?"

(Let me guess ....)

-----------------------------

In short, they'll ask you to open "eventvwr" or Event viewer and show you all the (so called) errors on the screen.

The first time I got this, the caller called out the name of "Jesus", but I don't think he'll be able to help me on this matter ... ! :)

Simply put, Event viewer is there to show you the log files that are present on your computer and, yes, there will be entries with "Warning" and "error" attached.

THIS IS COMPLETELY NORMAL OPERATION.

Let me stress this again - IT IS NORMAL to see these. If you have an up to date anti virus you need not worry about these entries.

What they will try and get you to do is go to a website like (www. supremocontrol. com) or (www. teamviewer. com) (Don't do this of course. I have put spaces in there deliberately)

What these programs will attempt to do is take remote control of your computer and then THEY will be moving your mouse cursor and operating your keyboard.

(You should NOT let that happen of course)

So, I've now had them on the line 3 times, once yesterday and twice today and held onto them for about 20 minutes each time ... Seems like that's all they're allowed each time ?

I hope they can pay their phone bill ...

------------------------------------------------

So, to repeat, if your ISP calls you (or Microsoft who NEVER will call you), then ask them what your name and address is (They should know this) and NEVER give out information like passwords, your name or address or any personal details.

(I think they're calling again ... Darn it, couldn't get to the phone in time this time) !

They may consider me an easy Phish to catch. Poor them, they don't know what a shark looks like ...

:)

Simon.

• Like 1

Hmm, There's a thought ...

1. I do not own a shed, so that's sorted.

2. I DO own a greenhouse (kind of transparent shed I suppose so they can see there's only junk in there anyway)

3. There is no 3.

But I think it's more likely that they just want to scam me through the internet and listening to the background noise of all the other operators doing EXACTLY the same thing to others, it's a pretty scary thought that someone will fall for this scam.

So, I had some fun with my own phising and reeling them in hook line and sinker. Keeps them away from other suckers people ! :)

I think I'll try the crime scene sketch on them next time and see what happens !

Simon.

I like the one that goes........

You have a problem with your PC.....

I don't own a PC...

What about your laptop you have a problem with that....

Don't own a laptop....

Ah you must have a phone or tablet....

Yes I do have a problem with my phone....

I can help you with that....

Its you that is causing the problem on my phone, you're on it!

I do like the murder scene one, must try that.

i've had a fair few i've strung along. The best thing is i use linux so when they ask me to press the 'windows' key i tell them it won't help. Then i tell them it's surprising they are calling from microsoft as i use linux :)

half of them don't understand though and just keep reading from the script.

I am getting more and more annoyed at the phone companies though as they have no interest in blocking these calls. apparently you can block 8 numbers with talktalk. 8!!!! the scammers change their numbers continually. I'm on tps and that makes no difference.

• Like 1

Pity there is not an electronic version of our way of dealing with junk mail years ago. Take the reply paid envelope from one & include junk contents from another -- repeat until your funny side gets bored.

• Like 1

This is my favourite

Caller "Our records show that you could be owed up to £3,000 in missold PPI have you ever paid PPI?

Me "Have you had an accident in the last three years that wasn't your fault, you could be owed £3,000 in compensation."

• Like 1

Its worth pointing out that team viewer is a reputable programme if used in the right hands.

There has been mention of GBS using it on their website to set up ECU`s from the comfort of your own garage.

How cool is that?

Andi

• Like 1

Guest 2b cruising

Used that system with MAN before retirement.

Customers were gobsmacked at their charges.

If an adjustment was made to any module, the customer had to pay for a new part.

That was even if an upgrade was done.

Criminal in my mind.

Me & Ray went to the Orlando Street Finals in 2008.

We got chatting to one team, really just 2 brothers & a bunch of friends,

strictly amateur.

They had a programmable ECU that had a data logging facility.

After each run, their base workshop in Atlanta connected via the race tracks wifi,

uploaded the data logs, they analysed it, made appropriate changes to the maps,

then down loaded them to the crews laptop & the ECU in the car

ready for the next run......it was astonishing at the time.