Brake Questions, Please Help!

Guest mchi3am2

Guest mchi3am2

Hi all,

I have finally managed to get some time to start working on the car (yay!) having recently got married; now I can get on with the important things eh?

Anyway, I am really struggling with brakes at the moment and I am sure that this question has been asked before (and answered) but I haven't been able to find it on google.

1. How do you know if a brake caliper is going to fit on your hub? Is it one-size-fits all? or do you need special hangers to attach the caliper to the hub? Any information (parts that would work would be nice too appreciated). I don't want to buy a caliper only to find it won't bolt to the sierra hub.

2. How do you work out what sort of brake joints to use? Is it better to use imperial/metric? Does it make any difference? Is either more prevelent? Can you mix and match (I don't mean use an imperial fitting with a metric bolt but rather have a joint in metric with imperial ends).

3. In the IVA, how do they inspect the brake pipes that go through the tunnel? I'm guessing you have to provide photos?

I know that's a lot of questions but I just can't seem to find any answeres for this stuff. Also, is anybody near Leeds?

Cheers,

Andrew

You use calipers and hangers from the donor vehicle

i.e. Sierra hubs = Siera calipers

Aftermarket caliper like Wilwood will provide measurments and hangers to fit

You can use either fitting without problem but must use the correct ones for master cylinder and calipers

The can't test what they can't see

Bit as its a safety critical componant YOU want to do it right

Rubber covered P clips at not more than 300mm spacing

Running down the tunnel may cause safety issue if the prop let go

Many build a false tunnel top and run brakes and electrics seperately down that

You use calipers and hangers from the donor vehicle

i.e. Sierra hubs = Siera calipers

Aftermarket caliper like Wilwood will provide measurments and hangers to fit

You can use either fitting without problem but must use the correct ones for master cylinder and calipers

The can't test what they can't see

Bit as its a safety critical componant YOU want to do it right

Agree with above

Rubber covered P clips at not more than 300mm spacing

I find the rubber covered metal P clips to bulky for brake pipe, and would suggest the brake pipe sized plastic type (also available in other sizes), they are smaller and neater. but that’s my opinion.

must agree with the 300 mm max for IVA, however reducing the spacing and increasing the number of clips does allow you use them to mount other things you will need to run, like wiring and fuel etc, without making your chassis into a Swiss cheese, or keep the cable tie companies running single handedly.

Running down the tunnel may cause safety issue if the prop let go

Many build a false tunnel top and run brakes and electrics seperately down that

This appears a lot of work for no real benefit.

The chances of a professionally made and balanced prop "letting go" is about zero, must admit some of the cut and shunts I have seen look a bit ropey but its like the brakes, you need the right thing for the job and you get what you pay for.

If it was to happen on a seven type car, losing one brake line to the rear brakes is the least of your worries.