Help With Super Spec Light Stalks And Multiplugs

geordie40

Hi all

Im having real trouble with my headlight wiring, The sidelights work fine on the stalk but dip and main dont, if i supply 12v to direct to the 9 pin multiplug then they work (blue/white and red/white wires), the side lights come from the 3 pin plug with brown being the supply 12v and red to the side light.

Can the stalks fail? if so what sort do i have (pics below).

My lighting stalk connector looks to be wired

top left Blue/White

top right Red

below red Green (12v supply)

Below that Blue/Red

Theres also a black and red not sure what that one is or even if it does anything (horn maybe but dont use it)

I have searched through the forums and I think Im going round in circles

Do the lights have to be on a stalk (incl main) for MOT or can I wire separate switches?

Ive been on this for 2 nights now!!, the lights used to work before I started "dicking" about trying to get the dash to light up and main beam indicator to work which I got working last night but even thats stopped.

I dont think I have a headlamp relay and I cant see one on the SS wiring diagram is this correct?

Any pics, diagrams of other super spec light stalks and the 3 multi plugs would be appreciated

PLEASE HELP!!!!

post-14299-0-25268900-1529525251_thumb.jpg

post-14299-0-44022600-1529525252_thumb.jpg

Edited by geordie40

Thanks Alan, Ive got a feeling the dash rebuild maybe sooner rather than later, do you know if the main beam has to be on a separate switch as ive seen on car builders a off/on/on switch for side and dip and a single switch for the main

http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/knurled-ring-toggle-switch-off-on-on-3-position

http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/knurled-ring-toggle-switch-on-on-changeover-double-pole

If you're going for a re-wire include relays for both head & dip beams --- saves the column switches carrying the heavy load & ensures headlights get full voltage due to shorter runs & heavier cables. Plus relays are just that --- a relay is easily replaced unlike a 20 something year old column switch, which is probably getting to be like hens teeth.

We’ve decided that the Superspec column stalks are Rover but non-standard. They’re opposite handed and might be a special batch made for left drive export cars.

There are no relays for the main and dipped beams so full power goes through the switches. It’s a possibility they could have failed although not a known problem.

My light stalk switch has 6 wires from the connector blocks to these pins:

1 12v perm from brown in 3-way block

2 dip beam to blue/red

3 sidelights to red in 3-way

4 & 6 12v from purple

5 main beam to blue/white

7 not used

Thanks Alan, Ive got a feeling the dash rebuild maybe sooner rather than later, do you know if the main beam has to be on a separate switch as ive seen on car builders a off/on/on switch for side and dip and a single switch for the main

Talk to your MOT Examiner, he is the expert.

The MOT doesn't say anything about how dip and main beams are switched, just what results must occur. The key word seems to be 'immediately' - there mustn't be any lag or gap between the beam switching.:

* Dipped or main beam headlamps must immediately light up when they're switched on (depending on the position of the dip switch).

* Headlamps must switch immediately between main beam and dipped beam when you move the dip switch.
* Moving the dip switch must do one of the following:

- extinguish all main beam headlamps and leave on at least one pair of dipped-beam headlamps
- deflect the main beams to make them dipped beams
* Dipped beam headlamps can remain on or switch off when main beam is selected.

Full MOT requirements can be found at

https://www.mot-testing.service.gov.uk/documents/manuals/class3457/

Well its amazing what a good nights sleep and a sunny afternoon can do!!

All sorted now, I cut off the 3 white multi plugs on the loom and wired them direct to connectors on stalks and hey presto it all works now. I even got a 2ndhand stalk assembly from local scrap yard, its from an mg tf , its the opposite way round but it still had part of the loom go a quick google told me what went where.

Happy days :good: :good: