Brake Booster

Guest phild

Hi, totally new to mechanics so excuse my ignorance but learning through trial and error all the time..!

Tested out the braking system yesterday on my part built 2B without the engine going. The car uses full sierra (1985 1.8L) donor parts. I am sure I will need to bleed the brakes before they work properly but I have a different concern at the moment. The brake booster has what sounds like an air leak each time the pedal is pushed. Loosening each bleeder valve seperately I can tell the master cylinder works as it pushes fluid through the pipes and comes out each valve. The calipers on the front work because they clamp the discs quite happily but only on the second/third push of the pedal. the first time nothing much happens. Every time though there is that air leak noise. Where the booster connects to the master cyclinder there is some corrosion but it doesn't appear too bad but that is where I feel the noise is coming from. To be honest I would be happy to replace the booster and master cylinder but can't find a booster for love nor money.. master cylinders lots but no booster. As the booster works is the noise relatively normal...? Can I replace a seal if it is a vacuum leak..Or is it likely to be the master cylinder that is making the noise..? If it is the booster... any advice about where to find a new replacement or better still any advice abou repairing the original or replacing with a booster form a different car entirely so long as it connects to the master cylinder of course.

Actually any advice would be greatly accepted.. Cheers

For booster i assume you mean the servo.

It sounds like you need to bleed the brakes fully - two or three presses to get some resistance in the pedal is characteristic of air in the system.

A sound of rushing air is common if you're pressing the pedal all of the way down quickly.

Oh, and welcome :)

Andy

Hi Andy, thank you for the welcome and yes apologies for going all american for a moment. I will bleed the brakes next and see if that gets the calipers working on the first press. Thanks for the info it has been very useful. :)

Yup.

My brother is a long time drag racing fan.

The site needs updating badly. He has had a new chassis built this year, full spaceframe

rather than just the rear. The engine has been fully rebuilt, the blower removed, twin turbos & injection fitted, we're

changing class next year so we can run methanol instead of petrol. Conservative estimates are 2200 bhp.

He is keeping it street legal so we also have a petrol map, powering just 8 injectors instead of the 16 we need for methanol.

Its gonna be a fun year...in a really scary way!

I'm off on hols next week, maybe some of us Kentish lads could arrange a visit after I get back on 15th Sept ...?

Bob