Wideband Lambda

nelmo

I'm looking to get a wideband lambda and I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations of a make?

I know Richard L has a Spartan2 but also found this one: https://ldperformance.co.uk/product/wideband-controller/

Anyone ever heard of it? I'm particularly intrigued by the statement it makes about warm up:

' Many wideband sensors fail prematurely because rarely aftermarket controller manufacturers pay attention to the sensor warmup procedure when the engine is cold. What usually happens is condensed water from the exhaust hits the hot sensor and the shock damages the sensing element.

The LDperformance Smart warmup process monitors the sensor temperature and applies full sensor warmup only after the exhaust is heated sufficiently by the engine. This means that when exhaust is cold the sensor will become fully operational in 2-7minutes after engine is started.'

The 3D printed enclosures speak a bit "Arduino hacker" to me. I think all of these widband controllers are a bit of a muchness really. They all do very little for the money, I keep thinking I should make an open source one myself! But, time, as always...

Use a PLX myself. No issues. Had an Innovate LC-1 before (couple, in fact), not very reliable. LC-2 is probably better but I've decided to steer clear of them now.

• Like 1

I also have a spartan2. The LD Performance stuff always looks like a bit of bargain, but very mixed reviews. Also understand he produces very low buck poor quality clones of megasquirt ecus and that puts me off immediately.

• Like 1

Never run with a lambda. I trust my rolling road. Don't want a lambda making changes to the settings I have paid for.

Yes but it costs half as much as a single RR session and, in theory, it's like having your car on a continual rolling road, always monitoring and allowing for ambient changes (temp, humidity etc), differing grades of fuel, changes to the engine as it wears etc. And you don't have to rag it to within an inch of it's life ^_^

Surely running a lambda sensor to provide feedback to the ECU is an enhancement to your engine map. The AFR settings in the map are target figures made during the rolling road session and without a feedback loop, how can you be confident that the ECU is maintaining these?

I’m running Innovate MTX on my Emerald ECU and it’s been faultless. ECU runs in closed loop mode so adjusts fuel trim without making any adjustment to the stored map. Only thing that catches me out occasionally is that when it shuts off the fuel on over-run and the display turns red, I keep thinking the alternator has failed or the handbrake is on.

• Like 1

I use an omex ECU. Possibly a bit different. Not interested in emissions or target AFR. Just horses. I'm happy to stick with 'at 5500rpm it makes max power at x injection volume and y ignition advance and z cam advance.' And it's one less thing to go wrong.

Most of the time, if you've had it tuned, the lambda will only adjust fuelling 1 or 2% off the base map anyway - I suspect the amount of fuel that's potentially saving is not worth fussing about.

I like to run one just so I know the state of my engine, to be honest. I use it to tune, but that's done now... but I see no reason to take it out. It's not adjusting fueling outside of 1%, but I can log to a laptop if I'm ever worried about it and take a look at how the engine is running (particularly if running a cat). A comfort thing really, but once you're mapped, it's probably not serving much purpose... I know what you mean, Longboarder.