Pinto Whistling Noise

GambolGold

It used to be an occasional quirk but now, once the engine is up to temperature and the car is moving and the engine under some load, there seems to be a whistling sound from somewhere. It is at a constant pitch irrespective of road or engine speed. It stops when I slow down. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this. I though it could be radiator cap but I changed this - no change to the sound. Thanks for reading.

Could it be some bearing, maybe on the cam/fan belt, alternator bearing, something like that.... viscous fan maybe....? I take it it doesn't do it at a standstill which is what's making it difficult to diagnose?

Gawd, could be a plethora of things I suppose... :-S

My wife's honda crv developed a whistling noise and the ignition warning light would occasionally flicker. I took it in to the garage and they tested it and said there was nothing wrong with it. I thought there was a bad smell to it as well but again they said they couldn't find anything. A week later the charge light came on and stayed on. Changed it and smell and noise went and light went out.

Whistle under load, reduces if load off but car still moving, revs much the same, speed the same suggests intake or exhaust leak to me. I would go through the intake system first checking all joints and gaskets including servo pipe if you have one.

• Like 1