Sliding Pillar Conversion

Guest Ian Maycock

Guest Ian Maycock

Dear All

After some thinking I have decided is time to change from sliding pillar to wishbones. so that is this winters project. I have the bones and now need to get the coilovers. Can anybody advise as the damper and spring spec required?

Thanks Ian

Guest Ian Maycock

Dave

When did you do yours and do you have any photos?

to answer your question i intended to mount the coilovers to one the original upper suspinsion tubes. regarding the bones i am not sure where these originally game from as they were an ebay purchase. there were being sold as bones for a 2B.

mine is in a good state to take photos at the moment, as fairly bare without an engine

will see what i can do

i made all of mine, bottom bones are shortened locost, top were made to suit......

mine now runs sierra rack, and is the same width, (near as dammit) as the back end

I would do the conversion, fitting the wishbones and their mounts first, without the shocks. Then support the car on blocks at its desired ride height, fit wheels and then decide where you are going to put the fittings for the wishbones. Check that you have the range of movement you want plus clearance. Then buy shocks to fit. If you have the car on blocks at desired ride height, wheels on and on the ground and shock mounts fitted you can then easily decide what length shocks you need to buy. Your car will be a 'one of' and you need to measure, not just buy what someone else has used. Spring length and poundage will be less of an exact science.

Nigel

Guest Ian Maycock

Dave Photos would be good.

Nigel, i take you point, sounds like a plan.

i also wanted to know where the best place is to get a pair of coilovers. anybody have any suggestions?

I had a look at my sliding pillars and trying to understand how you fit new wishbones when the two upper / lower seems to be part of the car frame. I know this is a mod alot of you guys have done so do you need to grind and re- weld ?? if so it seems a lot of work .

Guest Ian Maycock

i will be changing to wishbones this winter so will try and record the progress with photos and notes of problems as they occure. i will let you know how i get on.

if it takes as long as mine, you want to be starting soon, if you dont want to miss spring!

its not easy

havent had chance to take photo's of mine, been at work all weekend

Guest Ian Maycock

Guys.

Can i ask what coilovers you all fitted when doing your conversions? I am trying to work out which are the best value.

Dave. when you did your conversion what problems did you encounter that i should look out for?

Ian