Sva Application

Guest gavinc

received a letter back from VOSA today..

got all excited.

turned out to be an amateur build decaration..

how many photos did people send....

can you send a disc or do they have to be printed off....

Another problem is ALL receipts are with the DVLA as awaiting build up inspection on the 23rd of jan..

will the DVLA contact VOSA or do i need to try and get them all back and send them to VOSA..

dont want to wait another 2 weeks to get receipts back...

It’s been a year since I did mine, but I think that all I did was complete and sign the form. All you are doing is declaring that the car was built by an amateur, so I’m not sure what documents you could provide to prove that. Grade F CSE motor vehicle technology?! HTH, Brian

I didn't send anything to VOSA other than the completed paperwork.

However, when I went for SVA, I was armed with just about every receipt since Day 1, a whole bunch of photos in an albumn and a load of stuff off my PC burnt onto a CD and my wife's Laptop in case he wanted to scan through them.

I applied for my SVA at the weekend and also received the Amateur Built Declaration this morning.I sent build photos,order form and invoice plus the completed declaration.I phoned VOSA and they told me that the photos and documents will be returned to me at the testing station.The form reminds you that you need proof of the age of the engine to determine the appropriate emissions test standard.

• 3 weeks later...

anyone know what you are supposed to do if you buy a part built kit? (or a mostly built) and therefore dont have any built up photos?

there is a box to tick if you bought part built but it doesnt seem to mention whether this exempts you from the photos?

(got my amateur build thingy letter today)

paul

Guest Alan_builder

Hi All,

I think we are going off the rails.

The photos are needed only if you cant see what the SVA man wants - seat & seat belt mounting are examples. If you cant talk your way through without a photograph out comes the seat!

As I say on my web page a Burton catologue will confirm engine manufacturing date for the emission tests.

See my web pages Visit My Websiteand then PM me for my phone number.

my sSVA Visit My SVA Website

I :wub: my :rhsc:

thanks alan,

i sincerly hope it is that simple. The problem with the letter i got is that it is all about the amateur build declaration.

when they demand build photos in the same letter it makes you think that its linked, as that would make basic common sense.

optimistic really to apply such a crazy concept to something such as a governmental body!

Paul

Guest robinj66

Unfortunately, since last Autumn, the DVLA have been requesting build photos as a matter of course. I can't help with how many and at what stage except to sy that this was introduced to "combat fraud" (I never knew it was such a widespread problem with kit cars <_< )

Why not phone the DVLA and ask them. otherwise I would guess it would be advisable to show the chassis at an early stage, the engine & drivetrain, bodywork and the finished article.

I don't know what they would do if a builder said he didn't have any photos. :ph34r:

Am i mistaken or can you still just go to a DVLA office with reciepts and photos after SVA. This is what i did last June (although i didnt have any photos with me just reciepts). Just seems simpler than sending off reciepts and photos into the sometimes unreliable postal service you can also sort out the build up inspection at the same time. I guess it may take a few days longer if you do it post SVA but at least you can talk to someone in person. Just a thought.

Guest Alan_builder
Am i mistaken or can you still just go to a DVLA office with reciepts and photos after SVA. This is what i did last June (although i didnt have any photos with me just reciepts). Just seems simpler than sending off reciepts and photos into the sometimes unreliable postal service you can also sort out the build up inspection at the same time. I guess it may take a few days longer if you do it post SVA but at least you can talk to someone in person. Just a thought.

If you have a picture of a donor car and then it dismantled that should do for the originr of the bits. Ford don't serialise gearboxes, back axels steering rack etc. So some photograph from underneath your built kit will do?

Get the BUI out the way, let them come to you, give them time 4 weeks sounds good. You can show any documentation at that time (kept in your safe hands).

When you hand in he BUI form you can also apply for the licence, just leave the date blank for when you want the licence to run from.

this make it simple after SVA.

I will contact my DVLA contact and ask him on Monday.

• 2 weeks later...

apparently one of the fraud issues they are trying to combat is kit car companies passing off their owen turnkey cars as amateur builds.

if they are a professional builds as i understand it then they need to go through the same modern stringent emissions tests as a new car. as an amatuer the emissions test is a lot less strict

this means i think that this is the end of the pinto as a turnkey engine choice as there seems little chance a pinto will go through as a professional build. (though there might not be many of these left anyway) even if you have the company build up to a certain stage this will no longer be an amatuer build.

i went to my local dvla last week , i live in dunstable my local dvla is now in northampton! some 35 miles away.

got the forms for the regestration from the nice lady behind the window after sitting in the queue for 45mins.

returned to my seat and filled in the forms , because i couldnt attract the attention of the same lady i had to take another ticket .

another 35min wait to see another lady.who did not know what to do or say .

asked to see a senior person.

this person arrived and said that i should speak to the vechical examiner, another lovely lady.

she was very helpful and was the one to come and see the car the following fri.

however ,

they have still not issued a chassis no , the car has been checked withought a chassis no.

how is that possible?

i could if i was of a mind to do now enter a car for sva that has been checked but is different to the one checked as no chassis no was present on the vechicle being checked.

when we were under luton the car could not be checked withought a chassis no.

so my little rant over and anotherday tommorow.

they were not interested in photos , i did take an album full of them but they didnt want them, as ian said different areas different rules

regards graham