Rewire

jaimo

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think where getting confused is i got premier wiring sierra based loom and can use either 83 or 87 they use same wires just prob wired different to stalk but

I dont think i got relays in my light wiring now and want to change light stalk to switch but keep main beam indicator stalk so how do i do it using light stalk so cant wire as instructions for eiter 83 or 87 as will be 83 main beam stalk but new switch for dip and side

Basicaly has anyone got a diagram to wire lights and main from scratch then using wot pin does what can try and wire mix and match switches stalks if poss

As a new switch will only have power in and out so how do i bring the dip beam stalk into the system if that makes sense

Or shall i just keep what i got lol

Edited by jaimo

Well no going back now sierra loom half out just realised how much wasted wire etc thats there not used

Just realising hope i can do this

Fitted towbar

Fitted alarm

Fitted spotlights et

But never done electrics this big before

post-1433-0-69242800-1509179140_thumb.jpgpost-1433-0-44357200-1509179187_thumb.jpg

Not sure if these pictures will help you in your wiring, If you look at the stalk that feeds the indicators and dip/main beam you will see that:-

56 is the wire from the lights/wiper switch(brown/black)

56A (brown/yellow) feed to main beam relay.

56B (brown/white) feed to dip beam relay

Regards Martin

This is a big subject Jaimo and needs a bit of learning to get right. I would recommend the book 'Kit Car Electrics' by Peter & John Wallage published by Blueprint Books.

You need to decide if you are going to make up your own loom or use one ready made. If you make your own you can invent each circuit yourself. If you use ready made it will come with all the design work done and you just follow its diagrams and use the fusebox it is designed for.

Just been looking at the premier loom and has only got 4 relay holders

1.dip beam

2.main beam

3.flasher/indicator

4.intermitant (which i suppose wiper)

Or is the intermitant meaning the ignition

So where do i put an ignition relay

Do i need one

Going to put in isolater switch, and pust button start keeping original sierra switch i think so where will an ignition relay go

Edited by jaimo

You probably need one for the horn, and maybe for the radiator fan.

I am no electrician, so you probably need to wait for expert info.

I wanted a push button start, but the electrical side including isolating the button

when the engine was running was beyond me.

So I kept the Sierra column switch & just put a push button in the wire to

the solenoid. I just hold the ignition switch against the start spring,

(using sleight of hand!) then I just push the button in my avatar to complete the circuit.

Seen that bob not sure what way to go but the ignition side gets me confused

I know the sierra had ignition/starter relay but where in wiring did it go

I know i will have to put relays in for fan as the loom is for early sierra with vicous so after fit and horn didnt have a relay before as after fit with just button and inline fuse

Also got to figure megajolt and electric fuel pump in somewhere

Additional relays & bases are available from CBS --- would advise installing relays in every thing that uses a fair few amps --- very easy to replace a relay --- they are common as hens eggs --- not so easy to replace switches be they old donor or modern & the volts get where they're needed.